WSGI-server in the standard distro?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas W, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. Thomas W

    Thomas W Guest

    Will there be a WSGI-server like BaseHTTPServer etc in the standard
    distro? I think that would increase the adoptation of the
    WSGI-standard. A new web-framework for python pops up every other week
    and more and more support WSGI. Why not focus on getting an optimized,
    production-grade fully documented WSGI-server into the distro? Right
    now the BaseHTTPServer seems to be usable for development and testing,
    not production environment. Perhaps if there was allready a working
    WSGI-server in the distro we could focus on that being ready for real
    heavy-loads in production environment instead of making a WSGI-server
    for each and every web-framework available ( CherryPy and Django each
    got their own WSGI-server written in python, think Twisted has one as
    well, but they all claim it's only suitable for testing/development.).

    The problem is perhaps the threads vs select ( vs fork? )
    discussion/war?? If the distro contained a working thread-based
    WSGI-server the select/twisted-camp wouldn't use it anyway?

    The beauty of python is that it comes "with batteries included", with
    servers for CGI, HTML etc. but it doesn't seem like these are ready for
    real work. I don't care if some parts of the server has to be done in C
    for speed reasons, but it's bummer to allways have to install Apache to
    get a production-ready environment. Having a HTTP1.0/1.1-compliant
    production-grade WSGI-only server in the distro would be sweet :)

    I might be demanding a bit much here, but still ... Any thoughts?

    Anyhow, even a test/development-only WSGI-server implementation should
    be in the standard distro IMHO.

    Thomas
    Thomas W, Aug 7, 2005