    I would appreciate any help/advise.

    Regards

    Naveed

    Naveed, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Naveed

    Guest

    In that case work on Linux operating system, which is free to & u will
    get free compiler along with it called gcc. U can go for redHat Linux
    9.0, u can download from readhat.com

    , Jul 19, 2005

  3. Naveed

    Bugbear.1973 Guest

    I got through my uni studies by using the Borland Free C++ compiler.
    You are required to fill out a survey first before being allowed to
    download the compiler.

    NB it is a command line only compiler - no GUI !!!

    Go to http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

    Bugbear.1973, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Naveed

    Naveed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In that case work on Linux operating system, which is free to & u will
    > get free compiler along with it called gcc. U can go for redHat Linux
    > 9.0, u can download from readhat.com

    Thanks for the reply. I dont want to change from XP to linux. I dont have
    the time to learn how to use a different os yet but it is on my list of
    things to do in the future.

    thanks

    Naveed, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Naveed

    Manfred Guest

    If you are using Windows you could try

    http://www.mingw.org

    this is the gcc/g++ compiler which originally comes from Linux ported to
    Windows.

    or http://www.cygwin.com

    this is a complete Linux environment for Windows including gcc/g++ and a
    lot more programs which could be helpful too.

    And of course you could try Linux directly which comes along with gcc.

    Manfred

    Manfred, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Naveed

    Naveed Guest

    "Bugbear.1973" <> wrote in message
    > I got through my uni studies by using the Borland Free C++ compiler.
    > You are required to fill out a survey first before being allowed to
    > download the compiler.
    >
    > NB it is a command line only compiler - no GUI !!!
    >
    > Go to http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

    Hello Bugbear.1973

    Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
    requires GUI capability.

    Thanks anyway

    Naveed

    Naveed, Jul 19, 2005
  7. "Naveed" <> schrieb:

    > Your link looks good but unfortunately my project requires GUI
    > capability.

    But what GUI do you mean? Windows?

    Try gcc in the MinGW package. You can do all Windows programming you
    want including creation of DLLs and more.

    But notice, GUI programming needs sooner or later a GUI-IDE. You will
    be able to create dialog resources, bitmaps, toolbars and more. I
    don't know a free compiler supporting this really. So try to get a
    student version of Visual C++.

    T.M.

    Torsten Mueller, Jul 19, 2005
  8. You can download QT OpenSource Edition, or WxWidgets, or GtkMM.

    there are many toolkit to make a GUI for your project.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?St=E9phane_Wirtel?=, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Naveed

    Manfred Guest

    [OT] Re: wtd : free C++ compiler

    Naveed wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
    > requires GUI capability.

    I think you should try something like wxwidgets or similar, because
    there is a gui-builder available and it is possible to run the program
    on other Operating systems than windows.

    Manfred

    Manfred, Jul 19, 2005
  10. Naveed

    RAYYILDIZ Guest

    You can use g++ compiler on windows xp. You can downlaod the dev-c++
    and you can use it freely. Dev-C++ use gcc / g++ compiler on windows
    platform. Maybe you need a IDE for writing codes. You can use some
    free c/c++ editor. Most of them helps you to colour the code. Also you
    can download the eclipse IDE. It is develpoped for java. Hovewer it was
    adapted to C/C++ like IDE.
    if you want to change your OS, you will find so much help tools on the
    linux. It is not matter what you select linux distrubtion.
    Good luck.

    RAYYILDIZ, Jul 19, 2005
  11. Naveed

    benben Guest

    Re: free C++ compiler

    "Naveed" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am at university studying computing and have a C++ project to do. I

    live
    > a very long distance from uni and don't want to waste time travelling to

    use
    > their computers. I haven't started my project yet but will be starting
    > soon. I would like to use a C++ compiler at home on my own computer as

    this
    > will definitely save me time and bus money. Can anyone please recommend a
    > free compiler I can download and use.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help/advise.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Naveed

    Microsoft is also offering its own optimizing compiler for free without an
    IDE. Its called the Visual C++ Toolkit.

    If you need a free IDE, then you might be looking for one that uses gcc. I
    recommand Eclipse and CDT with MinGW.

    Ben

    benben, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Naveed

    Bart Guest

    Naveed wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
    > requires GUI capability.

    Carfull here. You need to distinguish a few things.

    1. The C++ language: keywords, language constructs, etc.
    2. The C++ standard library (aka STL): mostly computational, some text
    and file operations.
    3. 3rd-party libraries: for anything else.

    Sorry if you already know all of this, but many universities teach an
    amalgam of all of the above without clearly indicating what elements
    belong to what group. If you need GUI capability then you have to use a
    3rd-party library. However, your project may require a specific
    3rd-party library not just any GUI library. In that case just any C++
    compiler won't do. You might need to use a specific compiler that
    suports the specific 3rd-party library that you need to use.

    In other words, I think your original question is a bit too vague. What
    exactly do you need to do? What are the requirements of your project?

    Bart, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Naveed

    Mike Smith Guest

    Naveed wrote:
    > "Bugbear.1973" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I got through my uni studies by using the Borland Free C++ compiler.
    >>You are required to fill out a survey first before being allowed to
    >>download the compiler.
    >>
    >>NB it is a command line only compiler - no GUI !!!
    >>
    >>Go to http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
    >>

    > Hello Bugbear.1973
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Your link looks good but unfortunately my project
    > requires GUI capability.

    You can *build* GUI programs with it; it simply doesn't come with its
    own GUI IDE.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Jul 19, 2005
  14. [OT] Re: wtd : free C++ compiler

    Naveed wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am at university studying computing and have a C++ project to do. I live
    > a very long distance from uni and don't want to waste time travelling to use
    > their computers. I haven't started my project yet but will be starting
    > soon. I would like to use a C++ compiler at home on my own computer as this
    > will definitely save me time and bus money. Can anyone please recommend a
    > free compiler I can download and use.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help/advise.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Naveed

    If you are looking for a nice, full featured IDE for development on XP that supports Windows GUI development as well as Console, DLL, and Static libraries (all as default project types) Try Bloodshed Dev-C++ at http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html. Another poster said that as well, but it didn't really stand out. I would really recommend you at least check it out And it does use gcc and mingw.

    Theron NightStar, Jul 20, 2005
  15. I can recommend Dev-C++, a free IDE using gcc/mingw.

    http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/

    For GUI I use FLTK, but im sure there are plenty of other good cross
    platform libs for that. If you install the FLTK package through the
    build-in package manager you can create a new project using the FLTK
    template and you are up and running in seconds.

    Einar Forselv, Jul 20, 2005