wtf? gem command vanished

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Giles Bowkett, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. Giles Bowkett, Oct 12, 2007

  2. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    John Joyce, Oct 12, 2007

  3. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 3:54 AM, John Joyce wrote:

    > On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:
    >
    >> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went
    >> nuts.
    >>
    >> -- Giles Bowkett
    >>
    >> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    >> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    >> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/
    >>

    > Check your PATH
    > Install anything recently that likes to change the path ? (python
    > for example or other command line tools?)

    BTW, Giles, I know you run OS X, so it is probably your path getting
    mucked up by either an installation of something, or a software
    update of some kind. I've had it happen and seen it on the list at
    least once a week lately.
    There seem to be two schools of thought out there for setting paths
    in OS X, the "python school" and the "ruby school"
    basically, one camp likes to use a different dot file in the home
    directory and the other camp likes to use another dot file.
    In the python world, they seem to want to add a .bash_profile when
    installing, rather than checking to see what you are already using.
    In the ruby world we tend to use the .bash_login for OS X.
    there is also the possibility of a .bashrc
    You're better off having only one of those, you'll likely know which
    one is the culprit by looking at the mtime (modified time) on the
    file in the file system.
    open it and your usual path setting dot file, and adjust to fit your
    original scheme.

    I can only guess that by creating another dot file, they're trying
    not to gum up your existing path, but that could be respected by
    commenting it out and appending the file with the new path...

    When adjusting the dot files and paths, don't forget to comment them
    so you know why and what you changed later!

    John Joyce, Oct 12, 2007
  4. Giles Bowkett

    ara.t.howard Guest

    [OT] Re: wtf? gem command vanished

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 3:16 AM, John Joyce wrote:

    > In the python world, they seem to want to add a .bash_profile when
    > installing, rather than checking to see what you are already using.
    > In the ruby world we tend to use the .bash_login for OS X.
    > there is also the possibility of a .bashrc

    and in my world they are all them same - you just have to guard them
    in order to make them re-entrant. safest thing on osx - the dotfile
    semantics there are weird...

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
    --
    it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara.t.howard, Oct 12, 2007
  5. Re: [OT] Re: wtf? gem command vanished

    It's true, I did mess around with my PATH the other day. I was going
    nuts trying to install lejos, which is the Java API and VM for Lego
    Mindstorms robots. But the weird thing is that I reverted the changes
    in my .profile (to add to the list of dot files) and gem's still
    invisible to bash.

    I think something went wrong with gem itself. I'm expecting it to be
    in /opt/local/bin/gem, but it isn't there. The output from locate gem
    is absurd overkill, but maybe a long-running find.

    Giles Bowkett, Oct 12, 2007
  6. Giles Bowkett

    Luu Trung Guest

    John Joyce wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:
    >
    >> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Giles Bowkett
    >>
    >> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    >> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    >> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/
    >>

    > Check your PATH
    > Install anything recently that likes to change the path ? (python for
    > example or other command line tools?)

    Luu Trung Hieu

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/636/add.txt

    Luu Trung, Oct 12, 2007
  7. Giles Bowkett

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 11, 2007, at 23:25 , Giles Bowkett wrote:
    > Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.

    Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

    Eric Hodel, Oct 12, 2007
  8. Giles Bowkett

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

    > Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

    can we add that feature though?

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
    --
    share your knowledge. it's a way to achieve immortality.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara.t.howard, Oct 12, 2007
  9. Giles Bowkett

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 09:04 , ara.t.howard wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:
    >> Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

    > can we add that feature though?

    An uninstaller for RubyGems? Yes, but I have no interest in writing
    it now.

    Eric Hodel, Oct 12, 2007
  10. Giles Bowkett

    mortee Guest

    Giles Bowkett wrote:
    > It's true, I did mess around with my PATH the other day. I was going
    > nuts trying to install lejos, which is the Java API and VM for Lego
    > Mindstorms robots. But the weird thing is that I reverted the changes
    > in my .profile (to add to the list of dot files) and gem's still
    > invisible to bash.
    >
    > I think something went wrong with gem itself. I'm expecting it to be
    > in /opt/local/bin/gem, but it isn't there. The output from locate gem
    > is absurd overkill, but maybe a long-running find.

    I guess you should consider how you installed ruby, then find out what
    prefix it uses, and compare that to your current value of PATH.

    mortee

    mortee, Oct 12, 2007
  11. Giles Bowkett

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

    > An uninstaller for RubyGems? Yes, but I have no interest in
    > writing it now.

    no i meant on option to gem that would delete itself. or maybe a
    feature that just does it randomly?

    (kidding)

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

    ara.t.howard, Oct 12, 2007
  12. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: wtf? gem command vanished

    > and in my world they are all them same - you just have to guard
    > them in order to make them re-entrant. safest thing on osx - the
    > dotfile semantics there are weird...

    Ara, they work the same in Bash on any system.

    John Joyce, Oct 12, 2007
  13. Giles Bowkett

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, John Joyce wrote:

    > Ara, they work the same in Bash on any system.

    technically that is true, but each system configures the system wide
    bash files diffrently

    http://www.railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=39026
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-34083.html
    http://thefactoryfactory.com/wordpress/?p=287

    users coming from linux to bsd/osx are sometime surprised to find
    their .bashrc not sources in certain situations - this is due to the
    setup in /etc, not bash itself. regardless it's a source of
    confusion for many people.

    regards.

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

    ara.t.howard, Oct 12, 2007
  14. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:50 PM, ara.t.howard wrote:

    > On Oct 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, John Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> Ara, they work the same in Bash on any system.

    > technically that is true, but each system configures the system
    > wide bash files diffrently
    >
    > http://www.railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=39026
    > http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-34083.html
    > http://thefactoryfactory.com/wordpress/?p=287
    >
    > users coming from linux to bsd/osx are sometime surprised to find
    > their .bashrc not sources in certain situations - this is due to
    > the setup in /etc, not bash itself. regardless it's a source of
    > confusion for many people.

    not sources? huh?
    I think it's linux that might be deviating on that actually, but it
    shouldn't matter.
    in all of them, there is a load precedence precedence on the file
    name and location. Some of the files officially have the same
    precedence, but might get slightly higher by being loaded in the
    order of the file name.
    It's a fairly simple system, but has weaknesses, particularly the
    ability to have multiple files that do the same thing and may have
    conflicting information in them.

    John Joyce, Oct 12, 2007
  15. > > An uninstaller for RubyGems? Yes, but I have no interest in
    > > writing it now.

    > no i meant on option to gem that would delete itself. or maybe a
    > feature that just does it randomly?
    >
    > (kidding)

    as far as I can tell an uninstaller for RubyGems has evolved
    spontaneously on my machine. if I catch it and tame it, I will be
    happy to transfer it to a holding pen somewhere.

    Giles Bowkett, Oct 12, 2007
  16. Giles Bowkett

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:32 PM, John Joyce wrote:

    >> users coming from linux to bsd/osx are sometime surprised to find
    >> their .bashrc not sources in certain situations - this is due to
    >> the setup in /etc, not bash itself. regardless it's a source of
    >> confusion for many people.

    > not sources? huh?

    'sources'.sub /s$/, 'd'

    > I think it's linux that might be deviating on that actually, but it
    > shouldn't matter.
    > in all of them, there is a load precedence precedence on the file
    > name and location. Some of the files officially have the same
    > precedence, but might get slightly higher by being loaded in the
    > order of the file name.

    it's not quite just order - some are not loaded at all under certain
    situations. the .bashrc, for example is *not* sourced on login on
    some systems. linux does indeed do this differently so, if you're
    coming from that os you will have quite a suprised with a carefully
    crafted .bashrc.

    cheers.

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

    ara.t.howard, Oct 13, 2007