    Seems to me I don't need this shit just to run windows media player.

    I didn't need it on my site to play wmp.

    So what exactly is their game here? Anyone know?
    richard, Nov 20, 2008

  2. richard

    Dylan Parry Guest

    richard wrote:
    > I've come across several websites that post videos and I am told, in
    > both FF and IE, that I need to install THEIR "new activex control".
    > If you click cancel, you get a run around that trys to force you to
    > install the shit.

    From your use of the word ActiveX, I'm presuming you're using Internet
    Explorer.

    It sounds like you might have encountered "Theora", which is a new Open
    Source video format. From what I gather, it's soon to be supported
    without any extra plugins by the likes of Opera (Latest build?) and
    Firefox (3.1+), but requires an ActiveX component for Internet Explorer.
    It's currently supported by vast array of different players too.

    I don't know much about the pros and cons of it, but you can read more
    at http://www.theora.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora

    Presumably, the biggest pro will be that it will be supported on various
    different platforms (unlike Windows Media formats), and again presumably
    the biggest con will be lack of browser support.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
    Dylan Parry, Nov 20, 2008

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:21:55 +0000, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> I've come across several websites that post videos and I am told, in
    >> both FF and IE, that I need to install THEIR "new activex control".
    >> If you click cancel, you get a run around that trys to force you to
    >> install the shit.

    >From your use of the word ActiveX, I'm presuming you're using Internet
    >Explorer.
    >
    >It sounds like you might have encountered "Theora", which is a new Open
    >Source video format. From what I gather, it's soon to be supported
    >without any extra plugins by the likes of Opera (Latest build?) and
    >Firefox (3.1+), but requires an ActiveX component for Internet Explorer.
    >It's currently supported by vast array of different players too.
    >
    >I don't know much about the pros and cons of it, but you can read more
    >at http://www.theora.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora
    >
    >Presumably, the biggest pro will be that it will be supported on various
    >different platforms (unlike Windows Media formats), and again presumably
    >the biggest con will be lack of browser support.

    could very well be something like that.
    One of the source files had a name of v-codec-1406.exe so I figured it
    must be a codec problem.
    Sort of like when divx first came out. Problems galore then it finally
    settled in.

    For now, I ain't messin with it.
    richard, Nov 20, 2008