wtf is the deal?

Tom

I have made several posts asking the same type dmb questions. Other people
ask similar questions and get answers almost immediately.
My questions go unanswered permanently.
I posted code, explained the issue in detail and have done everything
everyone else has done, to no avail.
WTF gives?
I've asked as many different ways as I can think.

Uri Guttman

T> I have made several posts asking the same type dmb questions. Other people
T> ask similar questions and get answers almost immediately.
T> My questions go unanswered permanently.
T> I posted code, explained the issue in detail and have done everything
T> everyone else has done, to no avail.
T> WTF gives?
T> I've asked as many different ways as I can think.

i see two posts and both were answered by bob walton who told you to
look at the MLDBM module which is a good answer. what more do you want?
have you looked at the module? installed it? rtfm'ed it?

how many ways do you need to be told to use that module?

uri

Tom

I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my isp news again, as I don't
see any responses at all.
I'm not sure why yours showed up, but the others didn't. I did not cross
post, so they must have showed up out of my thread.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Uri Guttman ------ (e-mail address removed) -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 --

Tom

thanks
Uri Guttman said:
T> actually, I can't see his posts anywhere.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&...s_miny=2003&as_maxd=17&as_maxm=9&as_maxy=2003

google sure can.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ (e-mail address removed) -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 --
http://www.stemsystems.com/class

Tad McClellan

Tom said:
I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my isp news again, as I don't
see any responses at all.
I'm not sure why yours showed up, but the others didn't. I did not cross
post, so they must have showed up out of my thread.

You've been asked to stop top-posting, yet you are still top-posting.

Many people will killfile you for that. Maybe that is why you aren't
getting enough helpful responses...

[snip TOFU]

Tad McClellan

Tom said:
actually, I can't see his posts anywhere.

Whose posts?

It is customary to quote a bit of context (and an attribution)
when referring to something earlier in the thread.

If your newserver is dropping articles, try looking for them at Google:

http://groups.google.com/

Tom

Tad McClellan said:
You've been asked to stop top-posting, yet you are still top-posting.

Many people will killfile you for that. Maybe that is why you aren't
getting enough helpful responses...

Omg, I removed all the other text and got yelled at for that. I for the life
of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text goes.
I'm an R&D Engineer and write thousands of emails a year discussing
technical data and not one in thousands that I have received, had new text
at the bottom. I don't know an Engineer that would bother to search a large
email for it. It's a hassle, in usenet and email, to search through an email
or at the bottom, especially when having to read many messages. Click and
scope first two lines and if interesting or important, read the rest.
Otherwise, move on.
Having to scroll to the bottom is both a joke and cumbersome.
I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP where it can be read.
I suppose this is different for people who absoultely thrive on reading
usenet threads, but for someone who reads and writes tons of technicals at
their job 12+ hours a day, and again at night researching, it's a huge PITA.

I'm just being honest here and am not trying to offend anyone or get
killfiled, esp. since it has been so helpful now that someone answered.
The part of my script with dbms is working now, thanks!

Tom

Uri Guttman

T> Omg, I removed all the other text and got yelled at for that. I for
T> the life of me cannot understand what people's problem is with
T> where the text goes. I'm an R&D Engineer and write thousands of
T> emails a year discussing technical data and not one in thousands
T> that I have received, had new text at the bottom. I don't know an
T> Engineer that would bother to search a large email for it. It's a
T> hassle, in usenet and email, to search through an email or at the
T> bottom, especially when having to read many messages. Click and
T> scope first two lines and if interesting or important, read the
T> rest. Otherwise, move on. Having to scroll to the bottom is both
T> a joke and cumbersome. I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP
T> where it can be read. I suppose this is different for people who
T> absoultely thrive on reading usenet threads, but for someone who
T> reads and writes tons of technicals at their job 12+ hours a day,
T> and again at night researching, it's a huge PITA.

and do you like to work backwards in time as well? consider the history
of email and usenet where bandwidth and storage costs were very high. so
you respected other people's systems by editing out unneeded text and to
keep context flowing, you added your commented below since we read from
top to bottom.

now with cheap bandwidth and storage, and the generation of clods raised
on winblows where you are taught not to care about anything, let alone
how other people work, top posting has infected the usenet/email space
and is the most virulent virus yet.

i have to deal with this in other areas and i have taught a few
(including my non-tech wife) how to edit and post. but there are too
many out there who will not get it. reading backwards seems natural to
them now just like \ is now called slash and / is called forward
slash.

T> I'm just being honest here and am not trying to offend anyone or get
T> killfiled, esp. since it has been so helpful now that someone answered.
T> The part of my script with dbms is working now, thanks!

the offense was not the first time you top posted but the second and
later ones after you were asked to not do it. this group (and others on
usenet) are one of the few havens of proper posting and editing. long
may that standard rule!

uri

David H. Adler

Tom wrote: said:
Having to scroll to the bottom is both a joke and cumbersome.
I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP where it can be read.

That's the point. Context *is* important. The idea is that you trim
out the stuff that isn't relevant to your reply. That way there isn't
anything irrelevant to "scroll to the bottom" of.

As a side note, most of the time (as I see it, anyway) the people who
killfile for top posting are not doing it as a personal affront. They
are simply using a technique that helps them wade through the large
amount of traffic here, i.e. putting people who wish not to provide
appropriate context in their messages - a habit which they feel takes up
yet more of their time - out of sight.

dha

Tom

I didn't top post anything after ANYONE asked me to stop.
If anyone said anything, I never saw it.
As far as reading backwards in time, that is exactly the preferred way for
Engineering, unless comments are inlined with quetsions, etc.

I don't want to have to constantly scroll past what I already read a dozen
times to get to what was responded to last.
This is the 'proper' way to converse technical info, at least in the
engineering world.

Tom

That's the point. Context *is* important. The idea is that you trim
out the stuff that isn't relevant to your reply. That way there isn't
anything irrelevant to "scroll to the bottom" of.
which is what I do, except that in my field, the reply always goes on top
and for good reason. To see if the rest is even worth reading.

Tom

Tad McClellan said:
goes.

*plonk*

^^^^^^^^^^

Speaking of wasting time and bandwidth..........
Thats two Grandma nit picky childish ass texas posts

Keith Keller

Tad McClellan

[snip full-quote]

Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long time.

Being ostracised for socially unacceptable behavior has been
practiced by humans of all ages for thousands of years.

Grow the **** up.

Potty mouth. That is sure to convince us your superior intellect.

Ahh, that explains it, Texas.

Ad hominem weakens your position.

Thanks for the help.

James Willmore

Tom said:
Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long time.
Grow the **** up. Ahh, that explains it, Texas.

Childish is what you're doing trying to justify do what _you_ want to
do. It's something called _respect_. I realize that, in this day and
age, that's something long since forgotten - but _not_ here in this
newsgroup.

If you respect the wishes of the group, we will respect your wishes.
If you 'dis us, we will 'dis you. I'm thinking this is the same
everywhere, but it's observered here in this newsgroup very strongly.

Pretty simple - even for an engineer ... or a husband ... or
boyfriend ... or significant other ... or co-worker .... or friend ...
:)

Warmest regards

Jim