    everyone else has done, to no avail.
    WTF gives?
    I've asked as many different ways as I can think.
    Tom, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Tom

    Uri Guttman Guest

    T> I have made several posts asking the same type dmb questions. Other people
    T> ask similar questions and get answers almost immediately.
    T> My questions go unanswered permanently.
    T> I posted code, explained the issue in detail and have done everything
    T> everyone else has done, to no avail.
    T> WTF gives?
    T> I've asked as many different ways as I can think.

    i see two posts and both were answered by bob walton who told you to
    look at the MLDBM module which is a good answer. what more do you want?
    have you looked at the module? installed it? rtfm'ed it?

    how many ways do you need to be told to use that module?

    uri

    Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 -- http://www.stemsystems.com/class
    Uri Guttman, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my isp news again, as I don't
    see any responses at all.
    I'm not sure why yours showed up, but the others didn't. I did not cross
    post, so they must have showed up out of my thread.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    http://www.stemsystems.com
    > --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and

    Coding-

    http://jobs.perl.org

    Tom, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    actually, I can't see his posts anywhere.
    Tom, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Tom

    Uri Guttman Guest

    Uri Guttman, Sep 18, 2003
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    thanks

    http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&...s_miny=2003&as_maxd=17&as_maxm=9&as_maxy=2003

    http://jobs.perl.org

    Tom, Sep 18, 2003
  7. Tom <> wrote:
    > I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my isp news again, as I don't
    > see any responses at all.
    > I'm not sure why yours showed up, but the others didn't. I did not cross
    > post, so they must have showed up out of my thread.

    You've been asked to stop top-posting, yet you are still top-posting.

    Many people will killfile you for that. Maybe that is why you aren't
    getting enough helpful responses...

    [snip TOFU]

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Tom <> wrote:

    > actually, I can't see his posts anywhere.

    Whose posts?

    It is customary to quote a bit of context (and an attribution)
    when referring to something earlier in the thread.

    If your newserver is dropping articles, try looking for them at Google:

    http://groups.google.com/

    Tad McClellan, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Tad McClellan" <> wrote in message
    > Tom <> wrote:
    > > I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my isp news again, as I

    don't
    > > see any responses at all.
    > > I'm not sure why yours showed up, but the others didn't. I did not cross
    > > post, so they must have showed up out of my thread.

    > You've been asked to stop top-posting, yet you are still top-posting.
    >
    > Many people will killfile you for that. Maybe that is why you aren't
    > getting enough helpful responses...

    Omg, I removed all the other text and got yelled at for that. I for the life
    of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text goes.
    I'm an R&D Engineer and write thousands of emails a year discussing
    technical data and not one in thousands that I have received, had new text
    at the bottom. I don't know an Engineer that would bother to search a large
    email for it. It's a hassle, in usenet and email, to search through an email
    or at the bottom, especially when having to read many messages. Click and
    scope first two lines and if interesting or important, read the rest.
    Otherwise, move on.
    Having to scroll to the bottom is both a joke and cumbersome.
    I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP where it can be read.
    I suppose this is different for people who absoultely thrive on reading
    usenet threads, but for someone who reads and writes tons of technicals at
    their job 12+ hours a day, and again at night researching, it's a huge PITA.

    I'm just being honest here and am not trying to offend anyone or get
    killfiled, esp. since it has been so helpful now that someone answered.
    The part of my script with dbms is working now, thanks!

    Tom
    Tom, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Tom

    Uri Guttman Guest

    T> Omg, I removed all the other text and got yelled at for that. I for
    T> the life of me cannot understand what people's problem is with
    T> where the text goes. I'm an R&D Engineer and write thousands of
    T> emails a year discussing technical data and not one in thousands
    T> that I have received, had new text at the bottom. I don't know an
    T> Engineer that would bother to search a large email for it. It's a
    T> hassle, in usenet and email, to search through an email or at the
    T> bottom, especially when having to read many messages. Click and
    T> scope first two lines and if interesting or important, read the
    T> rest. Otherwise, move on. Having to scroll to the bottom is both
    T> a joke and cumbersome. I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP
    T> where it can be read. I suppose this is different for people who
    T> absoultely thrive on reading usenet threads, but for someone who
    T> reads and writes tons of technicals at their job 12+ hours a day,
    T> and again at night researching, it's a huge PITA.

    and do you like to work backwards in time as well? consider the history
    of email and usenet where bandwidth and storage costs were very high. so
    you respected other people's systems by editing out unneeded text and to
    keep context flowing, you added your commented below since we read from
    top to bottom.

    now with cheap bandwidth and storage, and the generation of clods raised
    on winblows where you are taught not to care about anything, let alone
    how other people work, top posting has infected the usenet/email space
    and is the most virulent virus yet.

    i have to deal with this in other areas and i have taught a few
    (including my non-tech wife) how to edit and post. but there are too
    many out there who will not get it. reading backwards seems natural to
    them now just like \ is now called slash and / is called forward
    slash.

    T> I'm just being honest here and am not trying to offend anyone or get
    T> killfiled, esp. since it has been so helpful now that someone answered.
    T> The part of my script with dbms is working now, thanks!

    the offense was not the first time you top posted but the second and
    later ones after you were asked to not do it. this group (and others on
    usenet) are one of the few havens of proper posting and editing. long
    may that standard rule!

    Uri Guttman, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Tom <> wrote:
    > "Tad McClellan" <> wrote in message
    >> Tom <> wrote:

    > I for the life
    > of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text goes.

    *plonk*

    Tad McClellan, Sep 19, 2003
  12. In article <3f6a8b5c$>, Tom wrote:

    [snip longer discussion of top posting issues]

    > Having to scroll to the bottom is both a joke and cumbersome.
    > I just don't get it. Important/new stuff UP where it can be read.

    That's the point. Context *is* important. The idea is that you trim
    out the stuff that isn't relevant to your reply. That way there isn't
    anything irrelevant to "scroll to the bottom" of.

    As a side note, most of the time (as I see it, anyway) the people who
    killfile for top posting are not doing it as a personal affront. They
    are simply using a technique that helps them wade through the large
    amount of traffic here, i.e. putting people who wish not to provide
    appropriate context in their messages - a habit which they feel takes up
    yet more of their time - out of sight.

    dha

    "You can't give a 4 to truth." - Saul Williams
    David H. Adler, Sep 19, 2003
  13. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I didn't top post anything after ANYONE asked me to stop.
    If anyone said anything, I never saw it.
    As far as reading backwards in time, that is exactly the preferred way for
    Engineering, unless comments are inlined with quetsions, etc.

    I don't want to have to constantly scroll past what I already read a dozen
    times to get to what was responded to last.
    This is the 'proper' way to converse technical info, at least in the
    engineering world.
    Tom, Sep 19, 2003
  14. Tom

    Tom Guest

    > > I for the life
    > > of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text

    goes.

    > *plonk*
    >

    > --
    > Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    > Perl programming
    > Fort Worth, Texas

    Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long time.
    Grow the **** up. Ahh, that explains it, Texas.
    Tom, Sep 19, 2003
  15. Tom

    Tom Guest

    > That's the point. Context *is* important. The idea is that you trim
    > out the stuff that isn't relevant to your reply. That way there isn't
    > anything irrelevant to "scroll to the bottom" of.

    which is what I do, except that in my field, the reply always goes on top
    and for good reason. To see if the rest is even worth reading.
    Tom, Sep 19, 2003
  16. Tom

    > Tom <> wrote:
    > > "Tad McClellan" <> wrote in message
    > >> Tom <> wrote:

    > > I for the life
    > > of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text

    goes.

    > *plonk*
    >

    > --
    > Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    > Perl programming
    > Fort Worth, Texas

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    Speaking of wasting time and bandwidth..........
    Thats two Grandma nit picky childish ass texas posts
    Tom, Sep 19, 2003
  17. Tom

    Keith Keller Guest

    Keith Keller, Sep 19, 2003
  18. Tom wrote:

    > Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long
    > time. Grow the **** up. Ahh, that explains it, Texas.

    *PLONK*

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Sep 19, 2003
  19. Tom <> wrote:

    [snip full-quote]

    > Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long time.

    Being ostracised for socially unacceptable behavior has been
    practiced by humans of all ages for thousands of years.

    > Grow the **** up.

    Potty mouth. That is sure to convince us your superior intellect.

    > Ahh, that explains it, Texas.

    Ad hominem weakens your position.

    Thanks for the help.

    Tad McClellan, Sep 19, 2003
  20. "Tom" <> wrote in message news:<3f6aaf48$>...
    > > > I for the life
    > > > of me cannot understand what people's problem is with where the text

    > goes.
    > >

    > > *plonk*
    > >

    > > --
    > > Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    > > Perl programming
    > > Fort Worth, Texas

    > Now there is about the most childish bullshit I've seen in a long time.
    > Grow the **** up. Ahh, that explains it, Texas.

    Childish is what you're doing trying to justify do what _you_ want to
    do. It's something called _respect_. I realize that, in this day and
    age, that's something long since forgotten - but _not_ here in this
    newsgroup.

    If you respect the wishes of the group, we will respect your wishes.
    If you 'dis us, we will 'dis you. I'm thinking this is the same
    everywhere, but it's observered here in this newsgroup very strongly.

    Pretty simple - even for an engineer ... or a husband ... or
    boyfriend ... or significant other ... or co-worker .... or friend ...
    :)

    Warmest regards

    Jim
    James Willmore, Sep 20, 2003