wxPerl

Matija Papec

I would like to install wxPerl on win2k and wander if someone
successfully uses that combination. Step by step RTFMs are greatly
appreciated. :)

TIA

Helgi Briem

I would like to install wxPerl on win2k and wander if someone
successfully uses that combination. Step by step RTFMs are greatly
appreciated. :)

Get and install Perl for your Windows machine.
Activestate has a good distribution at (long URL may wrap):

http://activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

WxPerl is not available from Activestate yet, as is appropriate
for version 0.16, but can be downloaded from (long URL may wrap):

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxperl/Wx-0.16-wxmsw2.4.2-win32-5.8.0.zip

Unzip and install as explained in the README file, i.e.

C:\>ppm install Wx-0.16.ppd

I hope this helps.

Matija Papec

Get and install Perl for your Windows machine.
Activestate has a good distribution at (long URL may wrap):

http://activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

WxPerl is not available from Activestate yet, as is appropriate
for version 0.16, but can be downloaded from (long URL may wrap):

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxperl/Wx-0.16-wxmsw2.4.2-win32-5.8.0.zip

Unzip and install as explained in the README file, i.e.

C:\>ppm install Wx-0.16.ppd

I hope this helps.

Yes, great! Do you have any experience with cygwin? I think it's
easyer to work under it in case you need to compile some module.

Helgi Briem

Yes, great! Do you have any experience with cygwin?

Yes. I use it and like it.
I think it's easyer to work under it in case you need to compile
some module.

I don't use cygwin perl. I have had very good results
with Activestateperl and modules are *extremely*
easy to work with using PPM.

Matija Papec

Yes. I use it and like it.

I don't use cygwin perl. I have had very good results
with Activestateperl and modules are *extremely*
easy to work with using PPM.

My experience with ppm is also good as long I don't search for modules which
aren't there. I've tried "s wx" and nothing come out.. Maybe they don't have
module for 5.8 yet. :!

Matija Papec

[email protected] (Helgi Briem) said:
My experience with ppm is also good as long I don't search for modules which
aren't there. I've tried "s wx" and nothing come out.. Maybe they don't have

I'm sorry because I didn't read your post carefully. Do you know how to make
modules under win2k (modules that need c compiler)?

Bart Lateur

Matija said:
My experience with ppm is also good as long I don't search for modules which
aren't there. I've tried "s wx" and nothing come out.. Maybe they don't have
module for 5.8 yet. :!

Yet I've gotten the necessary modules installed, even though I haven't
got ActivePerl 5.8 (by default)...

Tell you what, I'll show you how you can do it without PPM. A slightly
unortodox way, but it works.

You can get POD-Browser as announced here:

<http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=254944>

POD-Browser is an app written using wx-Perl on ActivePerl 5.8, and
distributed after processing with PerlApp. What you get is the modules,
the script, a Perl runtime DLL (the same as you have yourself, I'm
sure), and a small EXE file containing the script and a small bootstrap
executable which launches the perl DLL.

Now, you can just copy the stuff under the "lib" mdoule into your
site/lib directory. After that, you should just be able to run the .PL
script using your own Perl. If that works (I'm pretty sure it will),
you're set, and you can use Wx in your own scripts.

HTH,
Bart.