wxpython demo error on debian etch

BartlebyScrivener

If there is a wxPython on Debian user in the house? I am using the
version of the demo that came with the apt-get download of wxPython.

I thought I'd followed the instructions for installing and unpacking
the wxPython demo program. It appears to run after a fashion, but I
also get this at the commandline.

Any help much appreciated.

(python:5865): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_realize_icon: assertion
`info->icon_pixmap == NULL' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/
_misc.py", line 1286, in Notify
self.notify()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/
_core.py", line 13637, in Notify
self.result = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/home/rick/bin/wxPython/Main.py", line 1713, in ShowMain
if self.fc.IsRunning():
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/
_core.py", line 13481, in __getattr__
raise PyDeadObjectError(self.attrStr % self._name)
wx._core.PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the MySplashScreen object
has been deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

Thanks,

Rick

kyosohma

[...]

The problem is probably that it's older. I'm guessing it's either a
bug that's been fixed or something that's deprecated. The wxPython
website details how to get the latest version of wxPython (2.8.4)
here: http://wxpython.org/download.php

I'm not an expert with the wxPython errors. I would recommend that you
also ask at the wxPython user's group: http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

Hope that helps a little!

Mike

BartlebyScrivener

The wxPython
website details how to get the latest version of wxPython (2.8.4)

I'm fairly new to Linux, so I probably shouldn't mess with my stable
Etch.

I'll make do with this version of wxPython or go back to puzzling over
Tkinter.

Thanks,

rick

kyosohma

I'm fairly new to Linux, so I probably shouldn't mess with my stable
Etch.

I'll make do with this version of wxPython or go back to puzzling over
Tkinter.

Thanks,

rick

The newer versions of wxPython won't make your Debian crash or
anything. We run Debian at work and I've upgraded the Python to 2.4
and the wxPython to its newest version. This has not affected the
server's stability in any way.

This link explains the process the Debian team takes to implement new
versions of packages (like wxPython): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

Basically, they test it for months before finally putting it in to the
"stable" category. However, since they have to do this for lots of
packages, one by one the packages get marked stable. So you could have
something like wxPython marked stable in March and 6 months later, the
rest of the packages are done so they're marked stable. And then after
additional testing, they release the new version.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

Mike

BartlebyScrivener

The newer versions of wxPython won't make your Debian crash or
anything. We run Debian at work and I've upgraded the Python to 2.4
and the wxPython to its newest version. This has not affected the
server's stability in any way.

Install like this?

Debian stable is way behind the times, so you may find something
appropriate in testing. Alternatively, the instructions below should
work.

apt-get install alien
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev python2.3-dev
wget http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-2.8.3.0-1.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'pyver 2.3'
wxPython2.8-2.8.3.0-1.src.rpm
cd rpmdir
alien packagenames.rpm
dpkg -i whatever alien called them

kyosohma

Install like this?

Debian stable is way behind the times, so you may find something
appropriate in testing. Alternatively, the instructions below should
work.

apt-get install alien
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev python2.3-dev
wgethttp://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-2.8.3.0-1.src...
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'pyver 2.3'
wxPython2.8-2.8.3.0-1.src.rpm
cd rpmdir
alien packagenames.rpm
dpkg -i whatever alien called them

I would assume that would work. If you run into any problems, it would
be a good idea to post them to the wxPython user's group. They know a
LOT more about that sort of stuff if things go wrong.

Mike