wxPython & Fedora Core 4

linuxfreak

Hi guys,

Has anyone installed wxPython on Fedora Core 4. Apparently it need
the libstdc++.so.5 file while Fedora installs the newer libstdc++.so.6
file. I tried installing the libstdc rpm from fedora core 3 which would
have installed the required file but Fedora does not allow multiple
versions of the same file . Man this is frustrating. Help desparately
required..........

Thanks

Sybren Stuvel

linuxfreak enlightened us with:
Has anyone installed wxPython on Fedora Core 4. Apparently it need
the libstdc++.so.5 file while Fedora installs the newer
libstdc++.so.6 [...] Fedora does not allow multiple versions of the
same file.

Try Ubuntu Linux, which does allow having libstdc++.so.5 and .6
installed, on the same system, using the package manager.

Fedora _does_ allow multiple versions of that library, but apparently
not via it's package manager. Nobody is stopping you from getting the
file and putting it on your system.

You could also recompile the wxPython RPMs, so they link to your
version of the library.

Sybren

Christophe Lambin

linuxfreak said:
Has anyone installed wxPython on Fedora Core 4. Apparently it need
the libstdc++.so.5 file while Fedora installs the newer libstdc++.so.6
file. I tried installing the libstdc rpm from fedora core 3

You can install compat-libstdc++-33 (part of FC4), which has
libstdc++.so.5. However, since your wxPython package wasn't built for
FC4, you make run into other problems.

Regards,
Christophe

Christophe Lambin

linuxfreak said:
Has anyone installed wxPython on Fedora Core 4. Apparently it need
the libstdc++.so.5 file while Fedora installs the newer libstdc++.so.6
file. I tried installing the libstdc rpm from fedora core 3

You can install compat-libstdc++-33 (part of FC4), which has
libstdc++.so.5. However, since your wxPython package wasn't built for
FC4, you may run into other problems.

Regards,
Christophe

Sybren Stuvel

Christophe Lambin enlightened us with:
However, since your wxPython package wasn't built for FC4, you may
run into other problems.

That should be solved by recompiling the wxPython RPMs.

Sybren