[wxPython] how to automatically resize a window?

Curzio Basso

Hi all,

I have a problem for which I wasn't able to find an answer anywhere
else, maybe someone can give me a hint...

I designed with XRCed a small GUI (the code is at the bottom of the
message) made up of a menu and a frame in which there are two panels,
placed by an horizontal sizer.

Now, what I would like to do is to be able to load an image and display
it on the left panel, automatically resizing the panel depending on the
image size (the code is at the end again). There are actually two problems:

1) if I load an image the panel is not resized automatically

2) if I resize the panel manually after having loaded the image, the DC
is not repainted. that is, the portion of the image which was invisible
is not painted

Is there anyone with a bit of time to explain me how to solve these
problems?

thanks, qrz

------------------ XRC ----------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<resource>
<object class="wxFrame" name="MAIN">
<title>test</title>
<object class="wxBoxSizer">
<orient>wxHORIZONTAL</orient>
<object class="sizeritem">
<object class="wxPanel" name="IMAGE">
<size>100,100</size>
</object>
<border>5</border>
</object>
<object class="sizeritem">
<object class="wxPanel" name="CONTROLS">
<size>100,100</size>
</object>
<border>5</border>
</object>
</object>
</object>
<object class="wxMenuBar" name="MENU">
<object class="wxMenu" name="MENU_FILE">
<label>File</label>
<object class="wxMenuItem" name="MENU_FILE_OPEN">
<label>Open</label>
</object>
</object>
</object>
</resource>

---------------- PYTHON -----------------------------

from wxPython.wx import *
from wxPython.xrc import *
import Image

def pilToWx(pil):
image = wxEmptyImage(pil.size[0], pil.size[1])
image.SetData(pil.convert('RGB').tostring())
return image

class MyApp(wxApp):

def OnInit(self):
self.res = wxXmlResource("test.xrc")
self.InitFrame()
self.InitMenu()
self.InitEverythingElse()
self.image = None
return True

def InitFrame(self):
self.frame = self.res.LoadFrame(None, "MAIN")
self.ipanel = XRCCTRL(self.frame, "IMAGE")
EVT_PAINT(self.ipanel, self.OnPaint)
self.cpanel = XRCCTRL(self.frame, "CONTROLS")

def InitMenu(self):
self.menuBar = self.res.LoadMenuBar("MENU")
EVT_MENU(self.frame, XRCID("MENU_FILE_OPEN"), self.Open)
self.frame.SetMenuBar(self.menuBar)

def InitEverythingElse(self):
self.sizer = self.frame.GetSizer()
self.frame.SetAutoLayout(True)
self.sizer.Fit(self.frame)
self.sizer.SetSizeHints(self.frame)
self.frame.Show(1)
self.SetTopWindow(self.frame)

def Open(self, evt):
fd = wxFileDialog(self.frame, "Open image", "", "", \
"PNG image (*.png)|*.png|JPEG image
(*.jpg)|*.jpg", \
wxOPEN)
if fd.ShowModal() == wxID_OK:
im = Image.open(fd.GetPath())
self.image = pilToWx(im)
self.ipanel.SetSize(im.size)
self.ipanel.Refresh(True)
fd.Destroy()

def OnPaint(self, evt):
if self.image:
dc = wxPaintDC(self.ipanel)
dc.DrawBitmap(self.image.ConvertToBitmap(), 0,0)

def main():
app = MyApp(0)
app.MainLoop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

David Fraser

Curzio said:
[...]

You probably want to go to the wxPython users mailing list for this (see
the links on the wxpython home page)

David