wxPython - question

Tom Plunket

Artur said:
How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?

By reading the docs and using the right flags. :)

(I've been using wx for two weeks.)

in wxFrame:

wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR - Creates an otherwise normal frame but it
does not appear in the taskbar under Windows (note that it
will minimize to the desktop window which may seem strange
to the users and thus it might be better to use this style
only without wxMINIMIZE_BOX style). Has no effect under
other platforms.

so-

from wxPython.wx import *

class MyFrame(wxFrame):
def __init__(self):
style = wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE | wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR

wxFrame.__init__(self, None, -1, "Taskbar?", style=style)

if __name__ == "__main__":
a = wxPySimpleApp()
w = MyFrame()
w.Show()
a.MainLoop()

-tom!

Artur M. Piwko

In the darkest hour on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:12:55 -0700,
Tom Plunket said:
By reading the docs and using the right flags. :)

(I've been using wx for two weeks.)

Me - 2 days (-;
wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR - Creates an otherwise normal frame but it

Thanks. I was looking for function and this is a style...
I am fighting right now with setting/resetting this flag on live frame.

Artur

David C. Fox

Artur said:
In the darkest hour on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:12:55 -0700,

Me - 2 days (-;

Thanks. I was looking for function and this is a style...
I am fighting right now with setting/resetting this flag on live frame.

Artur

I don't know about this one in particular, but there are very few styles
which can be reset after the window is created. You might consider
creating a new frame with the appropriate style when you want to switch
to a different style.

David

Tim Roberts

Artur M. Piwko said:
How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?

PLEASE resist the temptation to built Yet Another Tray Application. Win32
programmers seem to use the tray icons as a sign of their guruness, and
every one of them seems to think that his application is so studly that it
must occupy permanent real estate on my desktop. I've seen some trays that
bloat to 20 or 30 icons.

Don't do it. Your application just isn't that important. If you need to
notify me of something, I find nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned
dialog box.

Tim Roberts

Artur M. Piwko said:
In the darkest hour on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:55:39 -0700,

I am writing Jabber/others messenger. In this case, tray icon is not a sign of
guruness, but user friendliness.

I disagree. That is strictly a matter of opinion.

Now, a tray icon that does not exist until some actionable event occurs is
probably a very natural UI, but the same thing could be achieved by
plopping up a dialog box. Even if I am running your messenger, yours is
not the only application I'm running by a long shot.

Artur M. Piwko

In the darkest hour on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:13:20 -0700,
Tim Roberts said:
I disagree. That is strictly a matter of opinion.

Now, a tray icon that does not exist until some actionable event occurs is
probably a very natural UI, but the same thing could be achieved by
plopping up a dialog box. Even if I am running your messenger, yours is
not the only application I'm running by a long shot.

And all this is the matter of user configuration.

Artur

Tom Plunket

JanC said:
That's why almost everybody is using a pop-up stopper these days.

Heh no doubt. I love nothing more than furiously coding away on
something, a dialog pops up from somewhere, and the next <space>
that I type dismisses the dialog before I even notice it on
screen.

-tom!