    Into the magic circle... where still the fire burns | mailto:s/_/./
    We're spinning round and round... until one takes a fall | -- Mercyful Fate
    The fallen one will not return, the fallen one must burn | "Witches' Dance"

    Artur M. Piwko, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Artur M. Piwko

    Tom Plunket Guest

    Artur M. Piwko wrote:

    > How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?

    By reading the docs and using the right flags. :)

    (I've been using wx for two weeks.)

    in wxFrame:

    wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR - Creates an otherwise normal frame but it
    does not appear in the taskbar under Windows (note that it
    will minimize to the desktop window which may seem strange
    to the users and thus it might be better to use this style
    only without wxMINIMIZE_BOX style). Has no effect under
    other platforms.

    so-

    from wxPython.wx import *

    class MyFrame(wxFrame):
    def __init__(self):
    style = wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE | wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR

    wxFrame.__init__(self, None, -1, "Taskbar?", style=style)

    if __name__ == "__main__":
    a = wxPySimpleApp()
    w = MyFrame()
    w.Show()
    a.MainLoop()

    -tom!

    Tom Plunket, Jul 11, 2003

  3. In the darkest hour on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:12:55 -0700,
    Tom Plunket <> screamed:
    > By reading the docs and using the right flags. :)
    >
    > (I've been using wx for two weeks.)

    Me - 2 days (-;

    > wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR - Creates an otherwise normal frame but it

    Thanks. I was looking for function and this is a style...
    I am fighting right now with setting/resetting this flag on live frame.

    Artur

    --
    Before the Goat of Mendes... we all must take our turn | Artur M. Piwko

    Artur M. Piwko, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Artur M. Piwko

    David C. Fox Guest

    Artur M. Piwko wrote:
    > In the darkest hour on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:12:55 -0700,
    > Tom Plunket <> screamed:
    >
    >>By reading the docs and using the right flags. :)
    >>
    >>(I've been using wx for two weeks.)
    >>

    > Me - 2 days (-;
    >

    >>wxFRAME_NO_TASKBAR - Creates an otherwise normal frame but it
    >>

    > Thanks. I was looking for function and this is a style...
    > I am fighting right now with setting/resetting this flag on live frame.
    >
    > Artur

    I don't know about this one in particular, but there are very few styles
    which can be reset after the window is created. You might consider
    creating a new frame with the appropriate style when you want to switch
    to a different style.

    David

    David C. Fox, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Artur M. Piwko

    Tim Roberts Guest

    "Artur M. Piwko" <pipen@beast_tu_kielce.pl> wrote:

    >How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?

    PLEASE resist the temptation to built Yet Another Tray Application. Win32
    programmers seem to use the tray icons as a sign of their guruness, and
    every one of them seems to think that his application is so studly that it
    must occupy permanent real estate on my desktop. I've seen some trays that
    bloat to 20 or 30 icons.

    Don't do it. Your application just isn't that important. If you need to
    notify me of something, I find nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned
    dialog box.
    --
    - Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

    Tim Roberts, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Artur M. Piwko

    Tim Roberts Guest

    "Artur M. Piwko" <pipen@beast_tu_kielce.pl> wrote:

    >In the darkest hour on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:55:39 -0700,
    >Tim Roberts <> screamed:
    >
    >>>How can I remove program entry from taskbar (not tray)?

    >> PLEASE resist the temptation to built Yet Another Tray Application. Win32
    >> programmers seem to use the tray icons as a sign of their guruness, and
    >> every one of them seems to think that his application is so studly that it
    >> must occupy permanent real estate on my desktop. I've seen some trays that
    >> bloat to 20 or 30 icons.
    >>
    >> Don't do it. Your application just isn't that important. If you need to
    >> notify me of something, I find nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned
    >> dialog box.

    >I am writing Jabber/others messenger. In this case, tray icon is not a sign of
    >guruness, but user friendliness.

    I disagree. That is strictly a matter of opinion.

    Now, a tray icon that does not exist until some actionable event occurs is
    probably a very natural UI, but the same thing could be achieved by
    plopping up a dialog box. Even if I am running your messenger, yours is
    not the only application I'm running by a long shot.

    Tim Roberts, Jul 15, 2003
  7. In the darkest hour on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:13:20 -0700,
    Tim Roberts <> screamed:
    >>I am writing Jabber/others messenger. In this case, tray icon is not a sign of
    >>guruness, but user friendliness.

    > I disagree. That is strictly a matter of opinion.
    >
    > Now, a tray icon that does not exist until some actionable event occurs is
    > probably a very natural UI, but the same thing could be achieved by
    > plopping up a dialog box. Even if I am running your messenger, yours is
    > not the only application I'm running by a long shot.

    And all this is the matter of user configuration.

    Artur

    Artur M. Piwko, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Artur M. Piwko

    Tom Plunket Guest

    JanC wrote:

    > > but the same thing could be achieved by plopping up a dialog box.

    > That's why almost everybody is using a pop-up stopper these days.

    Heh no doubt. I love nothing more than furiously coding away on
    something, a dialog pops up from somewhere, and the next <space>
    that I type dismisses the dialog before I even notice it on
    screen.

    -tom!

    --
    There's really no reason to send a copy of your
    followup to my email address, so please don't.

    Tom Plunket, Jul 15, 2003