[wxPython-users] Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ruben Charles, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am reading some essays --http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html "Beating
    the averages"-- and i am very interested in the web-based
    applications.

    I want to take the advantages having the application on a server. Is
    easy to update, maintain, etc...

    My questions is

    Can i have a wxPython GUI app available on a web browser?

    I founded some doc on the www but the most refers to GUI wrote in
    java script and tool kits relates with java. Some java script samples
    are interesting but is not what i am looking for.

    There is a way for having wxpython frames, dialogs etc on a web browser?

    If not, can you suggest me any kind oh method for have something similar?

    Thanks.

    Ruben Charles, Oct 18, 2005

  2. On 2005-10-18, Ruben Charles <> wrote:

    > Can i have a wxPython GUI app available on a web browser?

    I don't believe so. I think it would be icnredibly difficult
    to map a web API into wxWidgets API.

    > If not, can you suggest me any kind oh method for have something similar?

    I haven't tried it, but this looks sort of cool:

    http://trac.nunatak.com.au/projects/nufox

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! HELLO, little boys!
    at Gimme a MINT TULIP!! Let's

    Grant Edwards, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Re: Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

    I don't think this is possible, unless I am grossly misunderstanding.

    For the web, pretty much every "UI" is build with some variation of
    HTML (XHTML is the new standard) with JavaScript thrown in for fancy
    GUI-like interfaces.

    You can't use OS-native widgets in the web browser, no.

    Brett Hoerner, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Re: Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

    http://www.nomachine.com/companion_screenshots.php

    While not exacly what your talking about, its about as close as i can
    think of. This allows you to run any X applications inside a web
    browser.

    Eli

    Eli Criffield, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Alex Stapleton, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Re: Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

    not quite but close, NX is a compression protical for the X protical,
    so its a lot more like a java X client then a java VNC client.

    Eli

    Eli Criffield, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Re: Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

    HI!

    Shameless plug:
    I'm looking for the opposite way. I'd like to run a web application
    within a pseudo-browser in wxPython without the need to start a web
    server. Is that possible with a thin wrapper?

    Ciao, Michael.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=, Oct 25, 2005