wxWidgets for cross-platform GUI

sc

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had extensive experience with
writing cross-platform GUI apps using wxWidgets? I'm particularly
interested in "advanced" features such as Outlook or Google Desktop
style pop-ups, ability to skin the UI, set dialog transparency,
customize look and feel: bitmaps, dialog, and control customization
(colors, shapes, etc)...

I'm mostly looking for the comparison between C++ and Java
cross-platform GUI development. I find Java still a bit restricted in
that area, and from the looks of it, wxWidgets is an even less rich.

The app I would be working on needs highly customizable look and feel,
and so far MFC looks like the only satisfactory tool. The project is
leaning toward cross-platform, but might opt for Windows only, if the
available tools turn unsatisfactory.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Van Peteghem

sc said:
I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had extensive experience with
writing cross-platform GUI apps using wxWidgets? I'm particularly
interested in "advanced" features such as Outlook or Google Desktop
style pop-ups, ability to skin the UI, set dialog transparency,
customize look and feel: bitmaps, dialog, and control customization
(colors, shapes, etc)...
I have some experence with wxWidgets, and I think you can't do what
you want to do. There is a universal configuration in wxWidgets, that
draws the controls itself instead of using native controls, but I
haven't used that yet, so I don't know if you can adjust the look
and feel there.

You might want to try the Mozilla platform, which is also
cross-platform, and allows skinning.

--
Mark dot Van dot Peteghem at q-mentum dot com
http://www.q-mentum.com -- easier and more powerful unit testing