wxWidgets for cross-platform GUI

Discussion in 'C++' started by sc, May 2, 2006.

  1. sc

    sc Guest

    I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had extensive experience with
    writing cross-platform GUI apps using wxWidgets? I'm particularly
    interested in "advanced" features such as Outlook or Google Desktop
    style pop-ups, ability to skin the UI, set dialog transparency,
    customize look and feel: bitmaps, dialog, and control customization
    (colors, shapes, etc)...

    I'm mostly looking for the comparison between C++ and Java
    cross-platform GUI development. I find Java still a bit restricted in
    that area, and from the looks of it, wxWidgets is an even less rich.

    The app I would be working on needs highly customizable look and feel,
    and so far MFC looks like the only satisfactory tool. The project is
    leaning toward cross-platform, but might opt for Windows only, if the
    available tools turn unsatisfactory.

    Thanks in advance!

    sc, May 2, 2006

  2. sc wrote:
    > I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had extensive experience with
    > writing cross-platform GUI apps using wxWidgets? I'm particularly
    > interested in "advanced" features such as Outlook or Google Desktop
    > style pop-ups, ability to skin the UI, set dialog transparency,
    > customize look and feel: bitmaps, dialog, and control customization
    > (colors, shapes, etc)...

    I have some experence with wxWidgets, and I think you can't do what
    you want to do. There is a universal configuration in wxWidgets, that
    draws the controls itself instead of using native controls, but I
    haven't used that yet, so I don't know if you can adjust the look
    and feel there.

    You might want to try the Mozilla platform, which is also
    cross-platform, and allows skinning.

    --
    Mark dot Van dot Peteghem at q-mentum dot com
    http://www.q-mentum.com -- easier and more powerful unit testing

    Mark Van Peteghem, May 2, 2006