    I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
    curious for the most part.

    Thanks.

    Nexcet, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Nexcet

    VJ Guest

    Offtopic, but:

    Nexcet wrote:
    > Experience users with it; cons and pros?

    Not experienced enough to give cons and pros. I just made examples
    programs to see what each widget library can do and how they look like.

    > And is there anything else out there better then it?

    Take a look at QT4 - I think it is much better then wxWidget

    VJ, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Nexcet

    Mirek Fidler Guest

    Nexcet wrote:
    > Experience users with it; cons and pros?
    >
    > And is there anything else out there better then it?
    > I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
    > curious for the most part.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Take a look at

    http://www.ultimatepp.org/

    Mirek

    Mirek Fidler, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Nexcet

    Joey Sabey Guest

    Nexcet wrote:
    > And is there anything else out there better then it?

    Can't really say if wxWidgets is better or worse as I've not used it,
    but if you're into Gnome, there is always GTK

    ~Joey~

    Joey Sabey, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Nexcet

    DragonSt0rm Guest

    VJ wrote:

    > Take a look at QT4 - I think it is much better then wxWidget

    Yes it is much better. If you are ready to accept the "moc", but in wx you
    also have to accept the MFC -like macros :)

    The wired thing with QT is the license. I mean, if you are a profitable
    business, then yes. You pay the fees for commercial version and go ahead
    with no headache whatsoever.
    But if you are an independent consultant trying to develop something in the
    faint hope that you MAY sell it (but most probably not, so chances are that
    you will open source it), there is a problem.

    QT license require you to make your mind BEFORE starting using the library,
    if the product is commercial (pay upfront the license) or GPL.
    It especially forbid you to start developing with GPL edition, then when you
    see that it is liked by customers to buy the commercial license, compile it
    against it then sell it as non GPL. This is the reason many consultants
    prefer the liberal wx license.

    DragonSt0rm, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Nexcet

    DragonSt0rm Guest

    Mirek Fidler wrote:

    > Take a look at
    >
    > http://www.ultimatepp.org/

    Waooo I hadn't know about it. Gee, I love the ultimate++ paradigm !!!
    It is what I always expected from a GUI C++ library.
    I just spent about one hour looking over it, but overall I am very
    enthusiastic about it.

    Only a single one disappointment. Like everybody else, ultimate++ guys
    defined their own containers and string instead of using the STL things.
    I understand their mutability requirements, but they could at least hide
    them from the public interface. Aka, use their containers internally, but
    implement all the public methods to work with the std:: counterparts.

    It is still in infancy, so it is not a good idea to recommend it to OP for a
    production project, as of this moment in time.

    But definitely, it is to keep an eye on it. The strong reliance on advanced
    C++ advanced, make it maybe the best contender for a GUI platform of the
    future.

    Strongly impressed.

    DragonSt0rm, Nov 22, 2006
  7. Nexcet

    r Guest

    Nexcet wrote:
    > Experience users with it; cons and pros?
    >
    > And is there anything else out there better then it?
    > I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
    > curious for the most part.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've been using wxWidgets for the past couple years or so. The API is
    not as nice (yeah, this is subjective) and not as mature as QT or
    Borland VCL. But it seems to be the only widely used C++ GUI toolkit
    with a really free license (this is why I use it). It works
    cross-platform but there will be layout issues like icon size, spacing
    between widgets, small stuff like that.

    All in all, I'd say it's good enough.

    r, Nov 22, 2006
  8. Nexcet

    Mirek Fidler Guest

    > Only a single one disappointment. Like everybody else, ultimate++ guys
    > defined their own containers and string instead of using the STL things.

    Ah, yes. But this would not work. STL would break all the basic
    paradigms.

    Some day I will write a paper why and how STL makes everybody (except
    "C++ experts" and people not using it) dislike C++ (and wanting GC to
    be part of C++).

    (Disclaimer: I am member of the U++ project team).

    > It is still in infancy, so it is not a good idea to recommend it to OP for a
    > production project, as of this moment in time.

    Well, it is 8 years in development, all the time used for production
    projects.

    > Strongly impressed.

    Thanks ;)

    Mirek

    Mirek Fidler, Nov 22, 2006
  9. Nexcet

    SirMike Guest

    21 Nov 2006 07:38:19 -0800, Nexcet wrote:

    > Experience users with it; cons and pros?
    >
    > And is there anything else out there better then it?
    > I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
    > curious for the most part.

    Just today I post an opinion about wx to my blog. I think it can be useful
    for make a decision.
    http://www.sirmike.org/2006/11/22/wxwidgets-pros-and-cons/

    --
    SirMike - http://www.sirmike.org

    C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg. - Bjarne Stroustrup

    SirMike, Nov 22, 2006