wxWidgets

Nexcet

Experience users with it; cons and pros?

And is there anything else out there better then it?
I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
curious for the most part.

Thanks.

VJ

Offtopic, but:
Experience users with it; cons and pros?

Not experienced enough to give cons and pros. I just made examples
programs to see what each widget library can do and how they look like.
And is there anything else out there better then it?

Take a look at QT4 - I think it is much better then wxWidget

Joey Sabey

Nexcet said:
And is there anything else out there better then it?

Can't really say if wxWidgets is better or worse as I've not used it,
but if you're into Gnome, there is always GTK

~Joey~

DragonSt0rm

VJ said:
Take a look at QT4 - I think it is much better then wxWidget

Yes it is much better. If you are ready to accept the "moc", but in wx you
also have to accept the MFC -like macros :)

The wired thing with QT is the license. I mean, if you are a profitable
business, then yes. You pay the fees for commercial version and go ahead
with no headache whatsoever.
But if you are an independent consultant trying to develop something in the
faint hope that you MAY sell it (but most probably not, so chances are that
you will open source it), there is a problem.

QT license require you to make your mind BEFORE starting using the library,
if the product is commercial (pay upfront the license) or GPL.
It especially forbid you to start developing with GPL edition, then when you
see that it is liked by customers to buy the commercial license, compile it
against it then sell it as non GPL. This is the reason many consultants
prefer the liberal wx license.

DragonSt0rm

Mirek Fidler wrote:

Waooo I hadn't know about it. Gee, I love the ultimate++ paradigm !!!
It is what I always expected from a GUI C++ library.
I just spent about one hour looking over it, but overall I am very
enthusiastic about it.

Only a single one disappointment. Like everybody else, ultimate++ guys
defined their own containers and string instead of using the STL things.
I understand their mutability requirements, but they could at least hide
them from the public interface. Aka, use their containers internally, but
implement all the public methods to work with the std:: counterparts.

It is still in infancy, so it is not a good idea to recommend it to OP for a
production project, as of this moment in time.

But definitely, it is to keep an eye on it. The strong reliance on advanced
C++ advanced, make it maybe the best contender for a GUI platform of the
future.

Strongly impressed.

Nexcet said:
Experience users with it; cons and pros?

And is there anything else out there better then it?
I'll be starting some research developement using it and i'm just
curious for the most part.

Thanks.

I've been using wxWidgets for the past couple years or so. The API is
not as nice (yeah, this is subjective) and not as mature as QT or
Borland VCL. But it seems to be the only widely used C++ GUI toolkit
with a really free license (this is why I use it). It works
cross-platform but there will be layout issues like icon size, spacing
between widgets, small stuff like that.

All in all, I'd say it's good enough.

Mirek Fidler

Only a single one disappointment. Like everybody else, ultimate++ guys
defined their own containers and string instead of using the STL things.

Ah, yes. But this would not work. STL would break all the basic
paradigms.

Some day I will write a paper why and how STL makes everybody (except
"C++ experts" and people not using it) dislike C++ (and wanting GC to
be part of C++).

(Disclaimer: I am member of the U++ project team).

It is still in infancy, so it is not a good idea to recommend it to OP for a
production project, as of this moment in time.

Well, it is 8 years in development, all the time used for production
projects.
Strongly impressed.

Thanks ;)

Mirek