    I've got another ISP now, and 20Mb of space. Dang.

    Does anyone know of an easy-to-learn HTML editor for linux?

    Karl S.

    Karl S, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Karl S

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Karl S wrote:
    > Hi all.

    *snip*
    > Does anyone know of an easy-to-learn HTML editor for linux?

    Nvu

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Karl S

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Karl S wrote:
    > I started out with Notepad in Windows and the "htmlgoodies" primers,

    Oh, the amount I had to unlearn after my time thinking that site was
    good.

    > then went to linux with gVim and Quanta, but then the rules all got
    > changed and what little I know is pretty well obsolete. The new rules

    HTML 4.01 (which is most commonly recomended) was last updated in 1999,
    and that was just minor changes from the 1997 HTML 4.0. The most
    imporant bits of HTML 4.01 also existed in HTML 3.2. Things really
    haven't changed much in a long while.

    Avoid XHTML. The group archive will explain why.

    > for even a simple web page are almost too much for a simple text editor
    > even with a stack of "cheat-sheets". Heck, I can't figure out what I
    > ought to put in the headers.

    If you are working with static files, then your webserver should be
    able to figure things out from the file extensions you use.

    If you mean the <head> section, then all you need is a <title> element.

    > And CSS? I can't make heads or tails of that.

    It really isn't all that complicated. It basically comes down to
    writing selectors (which are descriptions of conditions that an element
    has to meet in order to match, such as "be a <p>" or "be a <p> inside a
    it looks ("color: red; background-color: blue;).

    I don't know a good introductory tutorial, but I find the spec quite
    readable. http://w3.org/TR/CSS21/

    It only becomes tricky when you start hitting browser bugs, but there
    is plenty of information out there, and plenty of people willing to
    help with problems.

    > Then they told me I had to have both an ALT flag and a TITLE flag for
    > each image.

    That's rubbish, someone has been misleading you.

    All images need an alt attribute (in case the image cannot be
    displayed), and unless the image actually adds new meaning to a
    document (rather then, for instance, reinforcing existing meaning or
    being purely presentational), its just going to be alt="".

    Title attributes, on the other hand, provide advisotry information
    about an element. They come into play when the element itself doesns't
    give you enough information (which should be fairly rare).

    > Does anyone know of an easy-to-learn HTML editor for linux?

    Define "HTML editor". If you want something graphical that will write
    markup for you, I suggest you forget it. AI hasn't yet reached a level
    when it can write good HTML for you.

    Otherwise, I suggest you stick with vim. Its a decent editor.

    David Dorward, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Karl S

    freemont Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:12:17 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Karl S wrote:
    >> Hi all.

    > *snip*
    >> Does anyone know of an easy-to-learn HTML editor for linux?

    > Nvu

    Nvu is fine until you try to open a stylesheet with it. :-\

    Quanta's the best bet.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Jun 23, 2006
  6. Karl S

    Karl S Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:53:11 -0700, Karl S wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone know of an easy-to-learn HTML editor for linux?

    > Quanta
    > Bluefish
    > Screem
    > Nvu and Composer
    > Oo_O Webwriter
    > Crossover and Dreamweaver
    >
    > But a text editor is _still_ better.
    > If you can't get started
    > you can find good templates to modify at
    >
    > http://www.realworldstyle.com/
    > http://www.glish.com/css/
    > http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/

    Ah! Why didn't I think of using a template? I've used my own simple
    pages as templates for years. That way I can continue to use a text
    editor instead of having to learn a whole new editing program.
    The old version of Quanta was handy, but the new one keeps trying to
    complete what I write before I'm done writing it. Maybe I'm just picky,
    but I find Quanta's continual "guessing" irritating.
    I'll look into the other editors you've listed, too. I remember reading
    good comments about Nvu, though I never liked the code Netscape /
    Mozilla Composer produced the few times I tried it.

    Thanks all!
    Karl S.

    Karl S, Jun 23, 2006