    David Lozzi
    Web Applications Developer
    dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
    David Lozzi, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Hi David,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    Regarding on the HTML editor html text processing question, here are some
    of my understanding and suggestion:

    1. As for those WYSIWYG html editors , they should directly provide the
    property to let us access the raw HTML value (edited at client) when being
    postback to server... Also, we need to turn off asp.net page's
    validateRequest first...... You can debug through the code in IDE to
    explore the text provided by the 3rd party html editor you used to verify
    this...

    2. As for SqlCommand , it'll directly inserted the string parameter we
    provided in sqlcommand's statement or parameter, there won't have any
    automatic htmlencoding, we can verify the data stored in sqlserver through
    the query analyzer.....

    In addition, some html editor will provide a property like "EncodedHtml"
    which is the value of the html which has been html encoded.... So I'd
    suggest you verify the about things to see at what step is the raw HTML
    value being converted by html encoding...

    If there're anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "David Lozzi" <>
    | Subject: WYSIWYG editor returning &gt; instead <
    | Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:13:22 -0500
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Howdy,
    |
    | I'm using a WYSIWYG editor called TinyMCE. When I edit some text and then
    | save it back to my SQL server using a SQLCommand, all HTML characters are
    | changed to HTML code, i.e. &gt;strong&lt; instead of <strong> and so on.
    Is

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 2, 2005

  3. Hi David,

    Does my last reply helps a little? If there're anything else we can help,
    please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:49:20 GMT
    | Subject: RE: WYSIWYG editor returning &gt; instead <
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hi David,
    |
    | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    | Regarding on the HTML editor html text processing question, here are some
    | of my understanding and suggestion:
    |
    | 1. As for those WYSIWYG html editors , they should directly provide the
    | property to let us access the raw HTML value (edited at client) when
    being
    | postback to server... Also, we need to turn off asp.net page's
    | validateRequest first...... You can debug through the code in IDE to
    | explore the text provided by the 3rd party html editor you used to verify
    | this...
    |
    | 2. As for SqlCommand , it'll directly inserted the string parameter we
    | provided in sqlcommand's statement or parameter, there won't have any
    | automatic htmlencoding, we can verify the data stored in sqlserver
    through
    | the query analyzer.....
    |
    | In addition, some html editor will provide a property like "EncodedHtml"
    | which is the value of the html which has been html encoded.... So I'd
    | suggest you verify the about things to see at what step is the raw HTML
    | value being converted by html encoding...
    |
    | If there're anything unclear, please feel free to post here.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: "David Lozzi" <>
    | | Subject: WYSIWYG editor returning &gt; instead <
    | | Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:13:22 -0500
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | |
    | | Howdy,
    | |
    | | I'm using a WYSIWYG editor called TinyMCE. When I edit some text and
    then
    | | save it back to my SQL server using a SQLCommand, all HTML characters
    are
    | | changed to HTML code, i.e. &gt;strong&lt; instead of <strong> and so
    on.
    | Is
    | | this a problem with the editor or something else? Does .Net convert it?
    | | had to disable page validate request because of the tags, is there more?
    | |
    | | Thanks,
    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 6, 2005
  4. David Lozzi

    David Lozzi Guest

    It appears not to have anything to do with the SQL command. I am currently
    just working with a file. My script opens the file and reads the html
    between two tags <editArea> and </editArea>. The HTML between the two is
    then loaded into the WYSIWIG editor and looks great!. When I click Save, it
    writes back to the file with the incorrect text Instead of an > it writes
    &gt; and <, &lt;.

    If I set the save button to only load the data from the editor into another
    plain non-rtf textarea everything looks good. the > are > and < are <. I
    just tried to load the text file from the second textarea independant of the
    WYSIWYG editor and all of the < > are still converting to &lt; &gt;. This
    seems to be independant of the editor? My code is below to open the file,
    maybe something there?

    I typed in the following into my textarea:

    And got this on my HTML page:

    If I put this directly into the .Write() like below, it works correctly. I
    see a bold sentence.

    Dim path As String = Server.MapPath("tester.aspx")

    Dim din As New StreamReader(IO.File.OpenRead(path))

    Dim conts As String = din.ReadToEnd

    din.Close()

    Dim start As String = Left(conts, InStr(conts, "<editArea>") + 9)

    Dim midd As String = Textarea1.Value

    Dim endf As String = Right(conts, Len(conts) - InStr(conts, "</editArea>") +
    1)

    Dim win As New StreamWriter(IO.File.OpenWrite(path))

    win.Write(start & midd & endf)

    win.Close()

    David Lozzi, Dec 15, 2005
  5. David Lozzi

    tdavisjr Guest

    I think the behavior is by design and it is a good practice. You don't
    want end users inserting < > into your database to read back out to
    your aspx pages since they can insert a <script> block and execute some
    javascript when you display this text from the database.

    What needs to happen is that when you get the data out of the database
    you pass it as a parameter to the HttpUtility.Server.HtmlDecode(your
    data). This would convert it from &lt; to < .

    Also, if you really want to save the < > in the database then you can
    use the same static method to decode the &lt; &gt; before its inserted
    into the database.

    I hope things are much clearer now.
    tdavisjr, Dec 15, 2005
  6. David Lozzi

    navendu

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    What you need to use is:

    HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(--HTML string to convert--)

    I was stuck on this for days :)
    navendu, Oct 31, 2006