Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Criticism versus Constructive Criticism

    Xah Lee, 2003-01

    A lot intelligent people are rather confused about criticism,
    especially in our “free-speech†free-for-all internet age. When
    they say “constructive criticisms are welcome†they mostly mean
    “bitching and complaints not welcomeâ€. Rarely do people actually
    mean that “criticism without suggestion of possible solutions are not
    welcome†or “impolite criticism not welcomeâ€.

    Such discernment is important. Wanton bitching as internet-using geeks
    are used to is not criticism is any form.

    People can be respected and make a living out of criticisms, called
    critics, but not bitching. And when one really value opinions, you
    often want criticism without qualifications. Just be happy that
    valuable criticisms may come to you free from the experts in the
    public. The instant you qualify what kind of feedback are welcome, your
    feedback is compromised. (this is particularly so for political or
    controversial subjects)

    One easy way for many of the unix geeks to understand this is the
    cryptology industry.

    If one really desires valuable criticisms that is polite or with
    solutions or “constructive†(whatever that means), one usually have
    to pay.
    ----
    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/criticism.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Xah Lee

    Ari Johnson Guest

    "Xah Lee" <> writes:

    A large amount of free, constructive criticism follows.

    1. Learn where to post things.

    > Criticism versus Constructive Criticism

    2. Learn when to capitalize words in a title.

    > Xah Lee, 2003-01

    3. Learn when to post things.

    > A lot intelligent people are rather confused about criticism,
    > especially in our “free-speech†free-for-all internet age. When
    > they say “constructive criticisms are welcome†they mostly mean
    > “bitching and complaints not welcomeâ€. Rarely do people actually
    > mean that “criticism without suggestion of possible solutions are not
    > welcome†or “impolite criticism not welcomeâ€.

    4. Try "many."

    5. Learn how to use commas.

    6. Nobody says "constructive criticisms are welcome." They use the
    singular, as should you.

    7. Learn how to use commas.

    8. Learn how to use parallel structure.

    > Such discernment is important. Wanton bitching as internet-using geeks
    > are used to is not criticism is any form.

    9. Generally, the use of sentence forms like "such <noun> is
    <adjective>" is even frowned upon in legal writing anymore; but it
    is almost never appropriate to use the word "bitching" in the next
    sentence.

    > People can be respected and make a living out of criticisms, called
    > critics, but not bitching. And when one really value opinions, you
    > often want criticism without qualifications. Just be happy that
    > valuable criticisms may come to you free from the experts in the
    > public. The instant you qualify what kind of feedback are welcome, your
    > feedback is compromised. (this is particularly so for political or
    > controversial subjects)

    10. You're still insisting that criticism in the general sense is a
    plural thing. It is not. Also, these "criticisms" are not what we
    call "critics." We call the people making them critics. I'd let this
    one slide but you bounce back and forth too many times in one sentence
    to get away with it.

    11. Learn how to match a verb to its noun.

    12. You still haven't figured out when to use "criticisms." I'll give
    you another hint: nowhere within your writing.

    13. Learn when your "expert" criticism is apropos and when it is not.

    14. If you can't figure out when not to pluralize the word criticism,
    I don't know why I expect you to know when to use "is" instead of
    "are." However, I still recommend you learn this not-so-subtle
    point of English grammar.

    15. Sentences in parentheses are still sentences - capitalize and
    punctuate appropriately.

    16. When you make a sweeping, general statement, it helps to support
    it with some kind of logically-related evidence.

    > One easy way for many of the unix geeks to understand this is the
    > cryptology industry.

    17. Learn when to capitalize proper nouns.

    18. The cryptology industry is not a "way." It is an industry. Learn
    how to write clear sentences that use words in meaningful ways. One
    way to do this is to utilize verbs.

    > If one really desires valuable criticisms that is polite or with
    > solutions or “constructive†(whatever that means), one usually have
    > to pay.

    19. The rule is that third-person singular subjects take "is" and
    third-person plural subjects take "are." You seem to have this
    backwards.

    20. If you are offering a dissertation on constructive criticism, you
    ought to define the term rather than using a parenthetical
    shoulder-shrug like this.

    21. Third-person singular subjects take "has," not "have."

    22. When you write something, even when it is not welcome or not
    relevant to the place you post it, it is helpful to actually make
    a point rather than just making several statements of things which
    alternate between obvious and nonsensical.

    > This post is archived at:
    > http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/criticism.html

    23. If something from three years ago is on the web, it is indexed by
    Google. If someone wants to read it, they will find it via
    Google. There is no need to post it on inappropriate newsgroups.

    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    (This isn't constructive criticism, but just a question:) Are you the
    sum of your web page?

    Ari Johnson, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Ari Johnson <> wrote:

    24. Learn when not to reply to a troll (and bother several groups while
    doing so).

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Xah Lee

    Guest Guest

    > "Xah Lee" <> writes:
    >
    > A large amount of free, constructive criticism follows.

    Just the usual repetitive content free stream-of-consciousness
    material that Xah Lee is notorious for.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Xah Lee

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 25 Apr 2006 12:21:43 -0700, "Xah Lee" <> wrote,

    >Criticism versus Constructive Criticism

    I think you would do better to put this sort of thing on a website
    rather than post it in a newsgroup. It is too pretentious for a
    newsgroup. Newsgroups are about question and answer.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Xah Lee

    Eli Gottlieb Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Criticism versus Constructive Criticism
    >
    > Xah Lee, 2003-01
    >
    > A lot intelligent people are rather confused about criticism,
    > especially in our “free-speech†free-for-all internet age. When
    > they say “constructive criticisms are welcome†they mostly mean
    > “bitching and complaints not welcomeâ€. Rarely do people actually
    > mean that “criticism without suggestion of possible solutions are not
    > welcome†or “impolite criticism not welcomeâ€.
    >
    > Such discernment is important. Wanton bitching as internet-using geeks
    > are used to is not criticism is any form.
    >
    > People can be respected and make a living out of criticisms, called
    > critics, but not bitching. And when one really value opinions, you
    > often want criticism without qualifications. Just be happy that
    > valuable criticisms may come to you free from the experts in the
    > public. The instant you qualify what kind of feedback are welcome, your
    > feedback is compromised. (this is particularly so for political or
    > controversial subjects)
    >
    > One easy way for many of the unix geeks to understand this is the
    > cryptology industry.
    >
    > If one really desires valuable criticisms that is polite or with
    > solutions or “constructive†(whatever that means), one usually have
    > to pay.
    > ----
    > This post is archived at:
    > http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/criticism.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Oh, God, not another one.

    --
    The science of economics is the cleverest proof of free will yet
    constructed.

    Eli Gottlieb, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    [Reported] (was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism)

    Eli Gottlieb <> wrote:

    > Oh, God, not another one.

    Instead of cross posting more garbage, do as follows:

    Email a complaint to the email addresses you can look up yourself and
    include the entire message of Xah:

    http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=72.231.179.135 posting host
    http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=xahlee.org spamvertized site

    If enough people complain with both, it might stop one day.

    John Bokma, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Re: (was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism)

    Dear John Bokma,

    This is a public notice that what you are trying to do is getting close
    to harrassment from the law's perspective.

    Thanks.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Re: [Reported] (was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs ConstructiveCriticism)

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Eli Gottlieb <> wrote:
    >

    >>Oh, God, not another one.

    > Instead of cross posting more garbage, do as follows:
    >
    > Email a complaint to the email addresses you can look up yourself and
    > include the entire message of Xah:
    >
    > http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=72.231.179.135 posting host
    > http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=xahlee.org spamvertized site
    >

    > If enough people complain with both, it might stop one day.

    What might stop? I see one technical post every one or few weeks from
    Xah, followed by a dozen posts from self-appointed library-sushers such
    as Eli and library-shusher-shushers such as you and me, none of which
    are technical.

    The one technical post, whatever one thinks of it, creates no problem;
    what part of "if you find the content worthless, just ignore it" is not
    understood? Nothing, actually. The respondents just like shushing people.

    Back on topic for just a moment, Tilton's Law of Programming applies:
    "Solve the real problem." So kudos for your shusher-shushing but...

    ....reporting Xah to spamcop would be an abuse of spamcop. Reporting Eli,
    yourself, and me, however, would be perfectly reasonable. :)

    love, peace, and quiet,

    kenny

    "Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.

    Ken Tilton, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Xah Lee

    Greg Menke Guest

    Mark Thomas <anon> writes:

    > Xah Lee wrote:
    > > Dear John Bokma,
    > > This is a public notice that what you are trying to do is getting close
    > > to harrassment from the law's perspective.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Xah
    > >
    > > ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    > > John Bokma wrote:

    > >> Instead of cross posting more garbage, do as follows:
    > >>
    > >> Email a complaint to the email addresses you can look up yourself and
    > >> include the entire message of Xah:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=72.231.179.135 posting host
    > >> http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=xahlee.org spamvertized site
    > >>

    > >> If enough people complain with both, it might stop one day.

    > Ooooh! (Waggles fingers beneath chin)
    >
    > Mark

    So now Xah is an expert on law in addition to emacs. What a guy.

    Gregm

    Greg Menke, Apr 26, 2006
  11. Xah Lee

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: (was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism)

    On 26 Apr 2006 12:29:33 -0700, "Xah Lee" <> wrote,

    >This is a public notice that what you are trying to do is getting close
    >to harrassment from the law's perspective.

    and what you do Xah, is very close to spam, another form of
    harassment.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 26, 2006
  12. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: [Reported] (was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism)

    Ken Tilton <> wrote:

    [ reported ]
    > What might stop?

    The excessive cross posting.

    > I see one technical post every one or few weeks from
    > Xah, followed by a dozen posts from self-appointed library-sushers
    > such as Eli and library-shusher-shushers such as you and me, none of
    > which are technical.
    >
    > The one technical post, whatever one thinks of it, creates no problem;

    It does, it's cross posted in too many groups that have no direct relation
    with each other, other then they are programming languages. Xah is
    trolling, you know it, I know it.

    > what part of "if you find the content worthless, just ignore it" is
    > not understood? Nothing, actually.

    If I see someone throwing garbage on the street, should I ignore it? It
    will blow away, or the street cleaners will pick it up.

    I do not ignore it.

    > ...reporting Xah to spamcop would be an abuse of spamcop.

    You're mistaken. I don't report Xah to spamcop. Spamcop has nothing to do
    with Xah. I *do* report Xah to his ISP / USP and hosting provider though.

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2006
  13. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    "Xah Lee" <> wrote:

    > Dear John Bokma,
    >
    > This is a public notice that what you are trying to do is getting
    > close to harrassment from the law's perspective.

    Which law?

    You have been harrassing severl groups for too long with your drivel and
    extremely badly written rants. I guess what you do comes way closer to
    harrassment then me trying to kick your ass.

    Lets hope some others join in and see who is going to win. Most trolls
    give up after they lose a handful of accounts, since it gets more and more
    expensive.

    Find a new hobby if CS is too hard.

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2006
  14. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On 26 Apr 2006 12:29:33 -0700, "Xah Lee" <> wrote,
    >
    >>This is a public notice that what you are trying to do is getting close
    >>to harrassment from the law's perspective.

    > and what you do Xah, is very close to spam, another form of
    > harassment.

    I leave that up to Xah's ISP/USP and hosting provider to decide :-D

    But I am sure that if a few people email, that Xah's harassment is going
    to stop soon.

    Unless he wants to burn some cash.

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2006
  15. Xah Lee

    Alex Buell Guest

    On 25 Apr 2006 12:21:43 -0700 "Xah Lee" <> waved a wand
    and this message magically appeared:

    > Criticism versus Constructive Criticism

    GO AWAY.

    Noone wants to see this drivel. Put it on a website if you must.
    Otherwise shut the **** up and leave us alone!

    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Take a nap, it saves lives.

    Alex Buell, Apr 27, 2006
  16. Xah Lee

    James Stroud Guest

    Ken Tilton wrote:
    > What might stop?

    Nauseating misuse of English. Annoying cross-posts. Newsgroup clutter.
    Shusher-Shusher-Shushers like me.

    --
    James Stroud
    Box 951570

    http://www.jamesstroud.com/

    James Stroud, Apr 27, 2006
  17. Xah Lee

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Ken Tilton <> wrote:
    >
    > [ reported ]
    >
    >>What might stop?

    > The excessive cross posting.
    >

    >>I see one technical post every one or few weeks from
    >>Xah, followed by a dozen posts from self-appointed library-sushers
    >>such as Eli and library-shusher-shushers such as you and me, none of
    >>which are technical.
    >>
    >>The one technical post, whatever one thinks of it, creates no problem;

    > It does, it's cross posted in too many groups that have no direct relation
    > with each other, other then they are programming languages. Xah is
    > trolling, you know it, I know it.

    No, I do not know it. I have checked out his web site, and have been
    involved in threads with him on comp.lang.lisp. He takes seriously what
    he writes. whatever you think of it.

    and if he were a troll, he would respond to each and every shusher to
    increase the flames. in this case he just responded to someone who
    threatened him.

    meanwhile, some other genius has just shushed him. I think we are all
    aprt of an experiemnt in Usenet addiction.

    :)

    peace and quiet,

    ken

    Ken Tilton, Apr 27, 2006
  18. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Alex Buell <> wrote:

    > GO AWAY.

    Instead of cross posting more garbage, do as follows:

    Email a complaint to the email addresses you can look up yourself and
    include the entire message of Xah:

    http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=72.231.179.135 posting host
    http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=xahlee.org spamvertized site

    If enough people complain with both, it might stop one day, maybe very
    very soon.

    FYI: dreamhost (hosts xahlee.org) takes complaints very seriously, and has
    warned Xah Lee already :-D

    So please stop replying to his drivel, just complain. It will stop.

    > Put it on a website if you must.

    Good point, I am sure Xah Lee is able to set up some blogging software. If
    he does it smart enough he might even attract more readers compared to
    harassing Usenet. (Did I just wrote smart?!)

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2006
  19. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Ken Tilton <> wrote:

    > and if he were a troll, he would respond to each and every shusher to
    > increase the flames.

    There are several ways to troll. He writes up a rant, and let others do
    the flaming. He probably saves up his energy for the next rant.

    Like someone else wrote: put it on a website (he already does). Turn it
    into a blog, make people comment. But stop cross posting rants.

    > in this case he just responded to someone who
    > threatened him.

    Maybe because he got a not so nice email from his hosting provider ;-)

    --
    John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
    personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2006