XCS: eXtensible Constraint Specification

Discussion in 'XML' started by Florian von Savigny, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Hi there,

    I am having a hard time in grasping how the TBX (TermBase eXchange
    format), authored by LISA (http://www.lisa.org/tbx/) exactly
    works. What I seem to have understood is the following:

    - although TBX *is* defined in terms of a DTD, it does not define it
    in full; it is more like it defines a general structure that can be
    further modified as far as details are concerned. Thus, TBX is not
    "one" format but rather, well, a class of closely related formats
    (or maybe they could be called "dialects" - "TBX variants" in proper
    lingo, I think). In the implementation of this model, elements are
    rather few and their generic identifiers sound more abstract than is
    familiar with e. g. traditional SGML formats. For instance, what
    could conceivably be called <definition> in an old-fashioned way
    ("this is a definition") is <descrip type="definition"> in the TBX
    way ("this is a descriptive element, namely a definition"). In TBX
    lingo, "descrip" is a meta data category, and "definition", a data
    category.

    - what is hence also needed to have a working format is thus the
    information prescribing the details. This is the job of so-called
    XCS (extensible constraint specification) files. Formally, they are
    in XML format, hence may carry an .xml file extension. Any
    application capable of processing TBX must be capable of checking
    adherence to at least one such XCS (this may perhaps even be
    hardcoded into the application, meaning the TBX variant understood
    by this app would be fixed). For an application to be even better,
    however, it should be able to read in a given XCS file, and then
    process the TBX data based on that (hence it would be able to
    process any TBX variant).

    I never before heard of XCS, and very few of schemata (;-) - yeah, I
    know, schemas), but I am wondering whether XCS might be no more and no
    less than a schema (though it would be lightly confusing if both a DTD
    and a schema were present - I thought these to be alternatives,
    rather). Here's an illustrative example of such an XCS, provided by
    LISA:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <TBXXCS name='DXFd-supplier' version="1.0" lang='en' xmlns="x-schema:TBX-XCS-XDRschema-v-0-
    1.xml">
    <datCatSet>
    <termNoteSpec name="termType" datcatId="ISO12620A-0201">
    <contents datatype="picklist" targetType="none">fullForm abbreviatedForm</contents>
    </termNoteSpec>
    <descripSpec name="subjectField" datcatId="ISO12620A-04">
    <contents datatype="picklist" targetType="none">manufacturing finance</contents>
    <levels>termEntry</levels>
    </descripSpec>
    <descripSpec name="definition" datcatId="ISO12620A-0501">
    <contents datatype="noteText" targetType="none"/>
    <levels>termEntry
    </descripSpec>
    </datCatSet>
    </TBXXCS>

    Now, is XCS simply a schema, or is it an invention peculiar to the TBX
    format? I gather the same tools as used for conversion of ordinary
    SGML/XML should be usable, but are there tools available for checking
    for consistency with an XCS file, analogous to the way nsgmls checks
    for consistency with a DTD? I hope that the syntax of the XBS file
    becomes more transparent to me as I grasp this.

    I would very much appreciate any enlightenment on this.

    Regards, Florian

    --

    Florian v. Savigny

    If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
    check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
    personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
    qu'environ une fois par semaine.
    Florian von Savigny, Feb 15, 2005