xerces and JDOM

Discussion in 'Java' started by Muni via JavaKB.com, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. what is the diference between xerces , JDOM, SAX , and DOM
    Muni via JavaKB.com, Jul 13, 2005

  2. "Muni via JavaKB.com" <> writes:

    > what is the diference between xerces , JDOM, SAX , and DOM

    Xerces: An XML parser implementation from Apache. It implements
    both a SAX parser and the W3C DOM. Exists in both Java
    and C++.
    <URL:http://xml.apache.org/#xerces>
    JDOM: A Java-based solution for accessing, manipulating, and
    outputting XML data from Java code. (Take from
    <URL:http://www.jdom.org/>). It is based on other
    libraries, including Xerces. It has its own Document
    Object Model (DOM). It is both a specification and an
    implementation.
    <URL:http://www.jdom.org/>
    SAX: Short for "Simple API for XML". It was really the first
    general API for handling XML, with several implementations
    existing.
    It is fairly low-level, allowing you to handle each tag
    in an XML file however you want.
    <URL:http://www.saxproject.org/>
    DOM: Short for Document Object Model, an object model of a
    document (duh :). The object model describes a tree
    structure of element and text nodes, matching the
    tree structure of XML documents.
    The most well known DOM is the W3C DOM, used both for
    XML and HTML. JDOM has its own, similar but not identical,
    DOM for XML documents.
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/>

    Hope this helps. Read the links for much more information!
    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Muni via JavaKB.com

    Chris Smith Guest

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:
    > JDOM: A Java-based solution for accessing, manipulating, and
    > outputting XML data from Java code. (Take from
    > <URL:http://www.jdom.org/>). It is based on other
    > libraries, including Xerces. It has its own Document
    > Object Model (DOM). It is both a specification and an
    > implementation.

    I think it's worth being clearer that JDOM does *not* provide an
    implementation of DOM, which is a W3C recommendation. The use of DOM in
    conjunction with JDOM is a tad confusing, and the JDOM project
    unfortunately continues this confusion by referring to the W3C standard
    as "another version of DOM". In normal language, JDOM provides an
    object model of a document, but it does *not* provide a Document Object
    Model. The difference is significant enough to exclude even the remote
    possibility of compatibility... so however similar it looks, an inch is
    a mile in standards compliance issues like this.

    In general, JDOM is appropriate (and much easier than DOM) for internal-
    only uses of XML parsing within Java applications, where the important
    thing is accessing the actual information from the document. External
    interfaces that incorporate XML should use the better-standardized DOM.
    If the programmer on the other side wishes to use JDOM, then they can
    build a JDOM Document from the DOM model on their side of the
    communication.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation