Xerces C++ parser book.

Dhirendra Singh

I am new to xml parsing concept. can anyone suggest good books on
Xerces C++ parsers.
API documentation provided by apache is very raw and i do not find it
very useful.

Joe Kesselman

Dhirendra said:
I am new to xml parsing concept. can anyone suggest good books on
Xerces C++ parsers.

In the XML world, anything on paper is almost by definition obsolete.
I'd suggest checking the tutorials at http://www.ibm.com/xml to see if
they have one that covers Xerces-C++.

It's been a long time since I looked at C++ version of Xerces, but I
believe its API is very similar to that of the Java version, which is
essentially the industry-standard APIs for XML (DOM and SAX), plus JAXP
(the Java API for XML Parsing, essentially an extension of the SAX APIs
to support DOM parsers, which in fact was derived largely _from_
Xerces), plus a few custom APIs for more advanced functions like
manipulating schemas. In other words, if you're writing something
straightforward, you can probably take any standards-based sample, plug
in Xerces, and get it running with at most minor tweaks.

Boris Kolpackov

Hi,

Dhirendra Singh said:
I am new to xml parsing concept. can anyone suggest good books on
Xerces C++ parsers.
API documentation provided by apache is very raw and i do not find it
very useful.

You may find examples in the Xerces-C++ distribution helpful to get
started. For example the DOMPrint example shows how to print an XML
document using DOM. SAX2Print shows the same for SAX.

Also you may want to consider using a data binding tool to simplify
access to the data stored in XML. URL to one such tool (based on
Xerces-C++) is in my signature.

hth,
-boris