XHTML and Framesets

Mark Rae

Hi,

Firstly, I have not the slightest intention of using framesets - the reason
for this post is merely to ask for assistance in furthering my understanding
of XHTML.

I was under the impression that XHTML fully supports framesets, hence the
Frameset document type. Therefore, can anyone please tell me why the
following markup doesn't validate correctly in VS.NET 2005?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
<head>
<title>Test Frameset</title>
content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" />
</head>
<frameset rows="100%">
<frame id="fraContent" />
</frameset>

There's a red IntelliSense underline beneath the <html> tag which says:
Cannot switch views: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element 'body'
occurs too few times.
I was under the impression that either a <frameset> or a <body> tag were
permitted, but not both...

There's a red IntelliSense line beneath the <frameset> tag which says:
Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element 'frameset' is not supported.
There's a red IntelliSense line beneath the <frame> tag which says:
Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element 'frame' is not supported.

However, according to http://validator.w3.org/, the above is perfectly
valid.

Can anyone please tell me why VS.NET 2005 is saying that the markup isn't
valid, if there's anything I can do about it, or if I can safely ignore the
validation errors.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

Mark Rae

D'oh! Apologies, group... :)

Fairly obviously, changing the Target Schema for Validation from XHTML 1.0
Transitional to XTHML Frameset sorted the IntelliSense out... sigh...

AAMOI, is it possible to default set the Target Schema for Validation at
page level, or is it global across VS.NET 2005...?