XHTML and PHP?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Salerno, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    I got the following error message when I tried to use a PHP include() in
    my XHTML file:

    ------
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in
    C:\Domains\johnjsal.com\wwwroot\g_camera_move.php on line 1
    ------

    The top of my html file is:

    -------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

    <head>........
    -------

    Is something in this heading causing a problem? I removed the first line
    but still got the same message. Then I created a new HTML page with no
    heading at all (I started with the <html> tag) and the include() worked.

    So obviously something about my heading is causing problems, but I don't
    understand what it is.
    John Salerno, Jan 27, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    Toby Inkster Guest

    John Salerno wrote:

    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

    Replace this with:

    <?= '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>'."\n" ?>

    (or remove it altogether -- it's optional, and pushes IE/win into quirks
    mode)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jan 27, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

    > Replace this with:
    >
    > <?= '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>'."\n" ?>
    >
    > (or remove it altogether -- it's optional, and pushes IE/win into quirks
    > mode)

    Well, I could have sworn I tried this already and it didn't work, but
    now it does. Thanks!

    Btw, what does that first option do, with <?= ?> ?
    John Salerno, Jan 27, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jan 27, 2006
  5. Toby Inkster wrote:

    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

    > Replace this with:
    >
    > <?= '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>'."\n" ?>
    >
    > (or remove it altogether -- it's optional, and pushes IE/win into quirks
    > mode)

    it is also optional when using UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.

    --
    je bavarde de ce que je veux
    -+- CF in Guide du Fmblien Assassin : bien configurer son bavardage -+-
    Mike Massonnet, Jan 27, 2006
  6. John Salerno

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mike Massonnet wrote:

    > it is also optional when using UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.

    Or indeed ASCII, as that is a subset of UTF-8.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jan 28, 2006
  7. On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Mike Massonnet wrote:
    >
    > > it is also optional when using UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.

    > Or indeed ASCII, as that is a subset of UTF-8.

    It's quite amusing really: if you send content which is strictly
    us-ascii, undeclared, over HTTP, then RFC2616 says it should be
    assumed to be iso-8859-1, while XML can assume it's utf-8, and neither
    of them are actually wrong :-}

    This is not really advisable, though. Depending on the contents of
    the ASCII data stream, MSIE might unilaterally decide that it's utf-7,
    and CERT CA-2000-02 warns about cross-site scripting security flaws
    which can be exploited. An appropriate explict encoding should always
    be advertised, as the CERT alert recommends.
    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 28, 2006