XHTML - Doctype and output

johkar

What is the proper doctype syntax for XHTML transitional??? Strict? How
come XSLT doesn't preserve XHTML when it is compiled (Xalan)? Meaning, <br
and confused? Any hints or clear online resources appreciated.

John

Martin Honnen

johkar said:
What is the proper doctype syntax for XHTML transitional??? Strict? How
come XSLT doesn't preserve XHTML when it is compiled (Xalan)? Meaning, <br
and confused? Any hints or clear online resources appreciated.

Well the XSLT 1.0 output method html is supposed to output according to
HTML rules and not XHTML rules thus if you have
<xsl:eek:utput method="html" />
or you happen to have a root result element
then the XSLT processor uses the html output method and in HTML a br
element in the tree needs to be serialized as <br>, an input element in
the tree needs to be serialized as <input>. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method

Thus if you want to have XHTML as the result of an XSLT 1.0
transformation you need to use
<xsl:eek:utput method="xml" />

Some processors (like Saxon for instance, I don't know about Xalan) also
know a special output method called xhtml that outputs XHTML according
to the HTML 4.01 backwards compatibility rules given in the XHTML 1.0
specification.