XHTML DTD

David Manheim

I am writing an XHTML extension, to add some attributes to all xhtml
objects, so that for any object, I can have "<a href="http://aol.com"
random="This is a note that is useful for me">

I tried the following dtd, and I'm not sure why it won't work: it
accepts the html tags in the file, but not any of the extended tags.
I'm not sure why.

____________________base-aaa.dtd_______________________

<!ENTITY % aaa-attrs
"required (true | false) #IMPLIED
readonly (true | false) #IMPLIED
random %Text; #IMPLIED"

<!ENTITY % xhtml11.dtd
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/D TD/xhtml11.dtd" >
%xhtml11.dtd;

<!-- Then add aaa-attrs to the common attributes -->

<!ENTITY % Common.attrib
"%Core.attrib;
%I18n.attrib;
%Events.attrib;
%aaa-attrs.attrib;"

David Carlisle

<!-- Then add aaa-attrs to the common attributes -->

Wrong order.

In a DTD the first definition wins, so you need to define the parameter
entity first then the one in the xhtml dtd will be ignored, but since
you need to define any entities that you use in your definition it's
easier to tap in to a lower level entity, in particular

Common.extra.attrib

has a default definition of empty and is there for
exactly this reason.

David