XHTML & javax.swing.text.html

WJ

I was reading in the Java Server Programming Wrox book in Appendix E about
using javax.swing.text and javax.swing.text.html to load a static html page
and "objectify" it, adding dynamic content before rendering it. This was
written in 2000, with JDK 1.2.x.

I'm laying out a new site and I'm considering the following architecture:
Laying out all pages using XHTML, with those pages having only divs for each
control (no tables at all). CSS would be used to completely control layout.

What is the easiest way to "objectify" the submitted page? When the page
does a form post, I'd like to get it in an object, similar to the way the
Java book described. Even though it's already in a request object, I have
to iterate through to pull the values out. Is there a technique of using an
XML parser like Xerces to do this easily?

The site layout and content would be customizable. So, depending on login,
different items may or may not be there, and in different locations.
I've looked at using struts and just started reading on cocoon yesterday.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome!