XHTML strict wrecking appearance of site

David Dorward

Steve said:
Trying to get a page to validate as xhtml strict. Looks OK in IE 6x,
Opera 7.0, but gets torn apart by Netscape 7.01.
If I use the transitional DTD it looks OK in Netcape 7.01.

This is a consequence of abusing tables for layout. Images sit on the base
line, Mozilla based browsers leave room below the baseline for descenders
(which you find on letters such as y,j,g and q but not i, k, l, m, and o).

The hack is to have your images display: block so there isn't any "text" to
have descenders.

You /REALLY/ need to work on your alt text though (see end)

Reading http://www.htmlhelp.com/feature/art3.htm would be a good start. You
should cover http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts too.

And now ... your website in Lynx and GoogleBot. (GoogleBot is quite likely
to go 'Hello keyword stuffer, welcome to the blacklist')

homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites [1]homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
[2]homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites [3]homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites [4]homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites

Need Some Web Site Help?

HomeBusiness Websites caters to the individual entreprenuer or small
business operator. Development includes full e-commerce enabled sites,
shopping carts, support for third party merchant providers and
consulting. Domain names can be registered for you and you will have a
choice of hosting plans. Call [5]Steve MacLellan at 1(902) 843-2534
today.

Web Work

From complete web development, installing scripts, or custom
scripting, you can get as much help as you need...

[6]more >>

Products

Some informational products geared to helping you manage and build
websites. More will be added later...

[7]Affiliate Programs Directory >> [8]more >>

Articles

A collection of articles with tips and hints for building websites.
These were feature articles from the [9]HomeBusiness Websites Journal.

[10]homebusiness websites [11]Read Blog [12]more >>

Discussion

A discussion forum to talk about everything that goes into building a
web business. Topics can also include marketing your site.

[13]more >>
[14]Alertra Web Site Monitoring Service
Copyright © All Rights Reserved. The information/images on this
website
may not be reproduced or republished by anyone.
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites
homebusiness websites homebusiness websites homebusiness websites

Steve MacLellan

Hi,

Trying to get a page to validate as xhtml strict. Looks OK in IE 6x,
Opera 7.0, but gets torn apart by Netscape 7.01.

If I use the transitional DTD it looks OK in Netcape 7.01.

You can see it here:
http://homebusiness-websites.com/xhtml-strict.html

Anyone offer any help?

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Build a Used Car Website

How to build, promote and sell advertising on
a used car website....
http://carsite-marketing.com

Robert Frost-Bridges

Steve said:
Trying to get a page to validate as xhtml strict. Looks OK in IE 6x,
Opera 7.0, but gets torn apart by Netscape 7.01.

Validate it regardless (you still have one small error btw) and you'll
be starting from a solid base to then work on how it looks. You're
already using a stylesheet so why not add the layout of the page to
this as well?

You'll find changes/updates easier to manage as you go along.

Steve MacLellan

Validate it regardless (you still have one small error btw) and you'll
be starting from a solid base to then work on how it looks. You're
already using a stylesheet so why not add the layout of the page to
this as well?

You'll find changes/updates easier to manage as you go along.

Yes, the small error is from using the same alt description on all of
the images. I did this because it is a test page.

Thank you for your response. I found out why it was looking messed up
in Gecko based browsers and have discovered how to fix the problem
myself.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Build a Used Car Website

How to build, promote and sell advertising on
a used car website....
http://carsite-marketing.com

Steve MacLellan

The hack is to have your images display: block so there isn't any "text" to
have descenders.

You /REALLY/ need to work on your alt text though (see end)

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I have already added this to my external stylesheet:

img { border: 0px;
margin: 0px;
display: block;
}

....which fixes the display problem. Then inline images are assigned
this class:

..inline {display: inline;}

The alt text isn't meant for keyword stuffing. This page will not be
live. It is for testing purposes only and will not be submitted to the
search engines or made available from my main site.

Best Regards,

Steve said:
The alt text isn't meant for keyword stuffing.

Google isn't capable of reading author's intentions.
This page will not be live.

Live enough for us to see it.
It is for testing purposes only

It is generally a good idea to do what testing you can before you open these
things up to external viewing. I can't see any reason why you would use
such unsuitable alt text for testing purposes rather then something sane,
therefore it seems to me that it is only reasonable to warn you of it. The
thing about asking questions in a public forum is that there is an implicit
invitation of commentary which does not directly relate to the question.
and will not be submitted to the
search engines or made available from my main site.

You posted a link to Usenet. Google indexes Usenet. Google can find it.