xhtml table attributes

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
may i ask what supports this assertion? i read thru some of the other
replies. is it mainly because microsoft does not support xhtml? the
company i work uses xhtml transitional. goofy little things like
closed short tags throw an error whne i switch to 4.0 strict.

That's because they are errors.
what arguemnt should i use when trying to convince my colleagues that
4.01 strict is the smartest choice?

Did you catch the other replies in this thread? Show your colleagues my
test page: http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

Internet Explorer sees XHTML (sent incorrectly as text/html) as tag
soup. It won't display correctly-sent XHTML at all. Isn't that enough?

Adrienne Boswell

may i ask what supports this assertion? i read thru some of the other
replies. is it mainly because microsoft does not support xhtml? the
company i work uses xhtml transitional.

Why is the company you work for using transitional? What are they
transitioning to? Transitional is mainly for older pages. If they are
using XHTML because they heard it was the "latest thing", then why are they
still using transitional for new pages? If anything they should be using
Strict XHTML.
goofy little things like
closed short tags throw an error whne i switch to 4.0 strict.

That's not goofy, that's an error.

mcnewsxp

dorayme said:
may i ask what supports this assertion? i read thru some of the other
replies. is it mainly because microsoft does not support xhtml? the
company i work uses xhtml transitional. goofy little things like closed
short tags throw an error whne i switch to 4.0 strict.
what arguemnt should i use when trying to convince my colleagues that
4.01
strict is the smartest choice?
thanks,
mike

In your average world situation where you have colleagues that
need to be convinced for you to do something yourself, don't! Go
with the trendy but otherwise fairly pointless XHTML and just do
it right and serve it as HTML and get it valid and no bad things
will happen to you and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

-- [/QUOTE]

thank you for a logical and thoughtful reply.
will do.

mcnewsxp

below is the justification my organization uses and they exlained the use of
transitional this way:
"Getting the average <my org> Web site to validate with XHTML strict,
though, with all of the pervasive technologies being used for Web
Development at <my org> (Dreamweaver, Frontpage 2003, Visual Studio,
Homesite, Notepad, etc.) - and the different skill sets of the developers
themselves (some are SMEs rather than Web Devs, some are graphic designers,
etc.) is still probably not a reasonable goal. Compliance with XHTML
Transitional gives enough flexibility for the bulk of our users."

wiki has this to say:

supports XHTML in Internet Explorer 9 (Trident version 5.0). Prior versions
can render XHTML documents authored with HTML compatibility principles and
served with a text/html MIME-type.

also this:
supports HTML 4.01, CSS Level 1, XML 1.0, and DOM Level 1, with minor
implementation gaps.

notbob

wiki has this to say:

supports XHTML in Internet Explorer 9 (Trident version 5.0). Prior versions
can render XHTML documents authored with HTML compatibility principles and
served with a text/html MIME-type.

I don't which wiki you are referring to, but the wiki on XHTML says this:

"Most web browsers have mature support[16] for all of the possible
XHTML media types.[17] The notable exception is Internet Explorer by Microsoft..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML#Adoption

I can find no mention of "Trident" on the above page, which was
updated 3 days ago.

Even if IE9 did, in fact, support XHTML, who even has it? I don't and
am not likely to get it. OTOH, the Mozilla browsers I do use do
support XHTML, but until M$ user adopt it, it's almost a none entity.

nb

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
below is the justification my organization uses and they exlained the
use of transitional this way: "Getting the average <my org> Web site
to validate with XHTML strict, though, with all of the pervasive
technologies being used for Web Development at <my org> (Dreamweaver,
Frontpage 2003, Visual Studio, Homesite, Notepad, etc.) - and the
different skill sets of the developers themselves (some are SMEs
rather than Web Devs, some are graphic designers, etc.) is still
probably not a reasonable goal. Compliance with XHTML Transitional
gives enough flexibility for the bulk of our users."

Translation: "We employ a large number of people with minimal skills,
and a reluctance to learn." Apparently so, since you're still using the
old, unsupported, abandonware FrontPage. Might be okay for someone's
hobby page.
wiki has this to say:

supports XHTML in Internet Explorer 9 (Trident version 5.0). Prior versions
can render XHTML documents authored with HTML compatibility principles and
served with a text/html MIME-type.

Using an XHTML doctype with text/html causes IE <9 to render "tag soup".
Look it up.

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/no-xhtml.htm
"People authoring or converting HTML documents to XHTML 1.0 Transitional
claiming that it's "the latest standard" has got to be one of the great
idiocies on the web today. "
also this:
supports HTML 4.01,

Transitional, or Strict?
CSS Level 1,

What about 2.1, 2.2 and up?
XML 1.0, and DOM Level 1, with minor implementation gaps.

Okay, you've fulfilled your obligation to the newsgroup, taking the
information you've learned here to your bosses. It appears they don't
want to listen and learn, so your job is done.

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Translation: "We employ a large number of people with minimal skills,
and a reluctance to learn."

Good one BTS! I have my smile for today.

mcnewsxp

--

i don't think anything was translated - just worded differently. i think
the responder knows that there is no changing the situation. big insurance

Jonathan N. Little

mcnewsxp said:
i guess what was said is at the
end of the day if the page renders - transitional is ok.
anyway, i'll do my bit to do right.

General Galapagos, "We Dinosaurs are doomed..."

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
General Galapagos, "We Dinosaurs are doomed..."

Aren't you glad you don't work for large organizations, you
please yourself, you wild modern thing you...?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Aren't you glad you don't work for large organizations, you
please yourself, you wild modern thing you...?

I bailed just when those ubiquitous grey|beige cubies where becoming all
the rage...