XHTML validation

Discussion in 'HTML' started by timhaynes1985@googlemail.com, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 8, 2009

  2. wrote:

    > Hi, I could really do with some help.

    There's help in the error messages you got.

    > How can I fix these validation errors/warnings?
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...hp/home.html;accept=*/*;accept-language=en-gb
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    Don't you appreciate the help you already got, in the validator's report?

    "An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by
    that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name,
    unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon (;). The most
    common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by
    the WDG in "Ampersands in URLs"."

    The part "The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in
    URLs" is emphasized there.

    By the way, why do you claim conformance to XHTML syntax on the page where
    you have validation errors? Shouldn't you remove the false claim as the
    first move? Well, maybe not. All those "valid XHTML" symbols are so often
    incorrect, maybe even blatant lies, that many knowledgeable people take them
    for a negative value (and others have no idea of what crap they are).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 8, 2009

    On 8 Feb, 20:23, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi, I could really do with some help.

    > There's help in the error messages you got.
    >
    > > How can I fix these validation errors/warnings?

    > >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.boss-game.com/in....

    > > Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

    > Don't you appreciate the help you already got, in the validator's report?
    >
    > "An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by
    > that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name,
    > unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon (;). The most
    > common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by
    > the WDG in "Ampersands in URLs"."
    >
    > The part "The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in
    > URLs" is emphasized there.
    >
    > By the way, why do you claim conformance to XHTML syntax on the page where
    > you have validation errors? Shouldn't you remove the false claim as the
    > first move? Well, maybe not. All those "valid XHTML" symbols are so often
    > incorrect, maybe even blatant lies, that many knowledgeable people take them
    > for a negative value (and others have no idea of what crap they are).
    >
    > --
    > Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Yes, I appreciate the help I got on the validation site and I
    appreciate the time you took to look into this. Maybe I didn't make
    myself clear and this is probably the wrong place to ask but isn't
    there a piece of code to replace the ampersand in a ul (maybe PHP)?

    As for making a false claim to my site containing no errors, that's
    rediculous. I checked my xhtml code at the validator and it passed
    sucessfully. I then checked my CSS which also passed sucessfully. I
    wanted to link the images to the results, and subsequently, this
    created the warnings in the xhtml validation. I was on a different
    computer when I saw this and had no way of logging in and altering
    this. Anyway, for now I have removed the link for the css image, this
    is the one that was causing the problem. I will restore it once I
    find the solution.

    Anyway, thanks for your time.
    , Feb 8, 2009
  4. rf Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 Feb, 20:23, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi, I could really do with some help.

    >> There's help in the error messages you got.
    >>
    >>> How can I fix these validation errors/warnings?

    >>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.boss-game.com/in...

    >>> Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    >> Don't you appreciate the help you already got, in the validator's
    >> report?
    >>
    >> "An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no
    >> reference by that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling
    >> the reference name, unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the
    >> trailing semicolon (;). The most common cause of this error is
    >> unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by the WDG in "Ampersands
    >> in URLs"."
    >>
    >> The part "The most common cause of this error is unencoded
    >> ampersands in URLs" is emphasized there.
    >>
    >> By the way, why do you claim conformance to XHTML syntax on the page
    >> where you have validation errors? Shouldn't you remove the false
    >> claim as the first move? Well, maybe not. All those "valid XHTML"
    >> symbols are so often incorrect, maybe even blatant lies, that many
    >> knowledgeable people take them for a negative value (and others have
    >> no idea of what crap they are).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    > Yes, I appreciate the help I got on the validation site and I
    > appreciate the time you took to look into this. Maybe I didn't make
    > myself clear and this is probably the wrong place to ask but isn't
    > there a piece of code to replace the ampersand in a ul (maybe PHP)?

    And if you had gone to where the error message pointed you, the WDG page
    where ampersands in URLs is discussed, you would already have your answer.

    Even google knows about this, google for "ampersands in urls". The very
    first hit is the relevant page.

    After you scroll down a bit you will get to the section about ampersands in
    urls where it quite clearly says to replace each & with &amp;
    rf, Feb 8, 2009
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Maybe I didn't make
    > myself clear and this is probably the wrong place to ask but isn't
    > there a piece of code to replace the ampersand in a ul (maybe PHP)?

    Replace your "&"s with "amp;"s

    Eg. "Marks & Spencer" becomes "Marks &amp; Spencer"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 9, 2009
  6. wrote:

    >> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    > Yes, I appreciate the help I got on the validation site and I
    > appreciate the time you took to look into this.

    I don't believe you. If you appreciated the help, you would have read it and
    utilized it. And you would not have fullquoted my message down to the sig.

    > Maybe I didn't make myself clear

    You didn't.

    > and this is probably the wrong place to ask

    So why do you ask here?

    > but isn't
    > there a piece of code to replace the ampersand in a ul (maybe PHP)?

    Read the help you got.

    > As for making a false claim to my site containing no errors, that's
    > rediculous.

    You can't imagine how ridiculous you look now.

    > subsequently, this
    > created the warnings in the xhtml validation.

    No, they were error messages.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 9, 2009
  7. cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Feb 8, 1:48 pm, wrote:
    > Hi, I could really do with some help.
    >
    > How can I fix these validation errors/warnings?
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.boss-game.com/in....

    You seem to have gotten rid of the validation errors at the moment as
    a result of comments by others. However click your link to the W3C
    validator above , check the verbose output box, and revalidate. Then
    look at Content-Type which you will find is text/html. This means that
    even if your code is perfect xhtml, it is only being served as html,
    so you might as well just write the code as html 4.01 strict in the
    first place. To serve as true xhtml, you would need to associate some
    extension such as .xhtml with the mime type application/xhtml+xml for
    xhtml. The extension .html already is used for the mime type text/html
    on most servers. If you do this, one very important thing happens. The
    xhtml page is parsed as xml which is extremely strict and in case of
    errors often will give an error message rather than a view of the
    page. But serving the page as html uses the loose-as-a-goose html
    parser which often will show the page, perhaps not as intended, when
    there are even many errors. If you were to associate an extension such
    as .xhtml with the mime type application/xhtml+xml on your server, you
    could then serve true xhtml once any errors are corrected. This will
    work on most recent browser as they will handle true xhtml. However
    you will find that no version of an IE browser, at least through IE 7,
    can view a true xhtml page served properly. You must use some rather
    complex code on the server to rewrite the true xhml page as an html
    page if you want IE to view it - there are other techniques. At least
    header exchange between the server and browser can tell you that an IE
    browser is not capable of xhtml.

    However you are in good/bad company as likely over 99% of pages
    claiming to be xhtml are not served properly. Now as a final example,
    click on your link to the W3C validator, substitute http://www.microsoft.com
    for the url of your page, check Verboise Output and click Revalidate.
    You will find that the home page for Microsoft is claiming to be
    xhtml, but it is only being served as html. If it were being served as
    true xhtml with the proper mime type application/xhtml+xml, it could
    not be seen on IE browsers! Moreover, I doubt if the xml parser would
    allow the page to be seen on any browser because of the many
    validation errors on the Microsoft home page!
    cwdjrxyz, Feb 10, 2009
  8. cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Feb 10, 2:24 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 1:48 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I could really do with some help.

    > > How can I fix these validation errors/warnings?

    > >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.boss-game.com/in....

    > You seem to have gotten rid of the validation errors at the moment as
    > a result of comments by others. However click your link to the W3C
    > validator above , check the verbose output box, and revalidate. Then
    > look at Content-Type which you will find is text/html. This means that
    > even if your code is perfect xhtml, it is only being served as html,
    > so you might as well just write the code as html 4.01 strict in the
    > first place. To serve as true xhtml, you would need to associate some
    > extension such as .xhtml with the mime type application/xhtml+xml for
    > xhtml. The extension .html already is used for the mime type text/html
    > on most servers. If you do this, one very important thing happens. The
    > xhtml page is parsed as xml which is extremely strict and in case of
    > errors often will give an error message rather than a view of the
    > page. But serving the page as html uses the loose-as-a-goose html
    > parser which often will show the page, perhaps not as intended, when
    > there are even many errors. If you were to associate an extension such
    > as .xhtml with the mime type application/xhtml+xml on your server, you
    > could then serve true xhtml once any errors are corrected. This will
    > work on most recent browser as they will handle true xhtml. However
    > you will find that no version of an IE browser, at least through IE 7,
    > can view a true xhtml page served properly. You must use some rather
    > complex code on the server to rewrite the true xhml page as an html
    > page if you want IE to view it - there are other techniques. At least
    > header exchange between the server and browser can tell you that an IE
    > browser is not capable of xhtml.
    >
    > However you are in good/bad company as likely over 99% of pages
    > claiming to be xhtml are not served properly. Now as a final example,
    > click on your link to the W3C validator, substitutehttp://www.microsoft.com
    > for the url of your page, check Verboise Output and click Revalidate.
    > You will find that the home page for Microsoft is claiming to be
    > xhtml, but it is only being served as html. If it were being served as
    > true xhtml with the proper mime type application/xhtml+xml, it could
    > not be seen on IE browsers! Moreover, I doubt if the xml parser would
    > allow the page to be seen on any browser because of the many
    > validation errors on the Microsoft home page!

    Since writing this, the validation link to your page is not being
    found. However I have the link to the page you were validating, which
    is http://www.boss-game.com/index.php/home.html . At the moment this
    page is working. Just use this url in the W3C validator at http://validator..w3.org/
    to check the various things I mentioned.
    cwdjrxyz, Feb 10, 2009