    Is that available from Xilinx exclusively?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    EE123, Jan 17, 2007

  2. EE123

    Guest

    Re: Xilinx A Couple of questions

    If I were to buy a Xilinx DevKit, I'd buy it from Xilinx or the people
    that actually made it.

    You'll find more answers here:
    <http://www.xilinx.com/products/devboards/>

    EE123 wrote:
    > I am loooking at getting a Xilinx development kit
    > from Digikey and I have a couple of questions.
    > I am using an IBM PC running Win 2000 XP.
    >
    > First, is the Xilinx kit complete? I bought
    > an Atmel kit a coupe of years ago and
    > found out that I would have to buy a
    > $300 I/O software package WRONG!!!
    >
    > Second, the kit from Digikey does the
    > Spartan but not the Virtex. Where
    > do you get the Virtex sofdtware?
    > Is that available from Xilinx exclusively?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    , Jan 17, 2007

  3. Re: Xilinx A Couple of questions

    Dave, In terms of starter kits... I have had a great experience with the
    xilinx HW-SPAR3E-SK-US...

    I can _really_ recommend this Spartan 3E starter kit. It's an excellent
    training ground for FPGA design, it has a simple programming interface, and
    all the peripherals you could consider using. I bought a pile and am using
    them as all sorts of wierd and wonderful things, simulators, testers. etc
    etc. Use web-pack to make the code, all free. Doesn't need a programming
    cable either. Plus, more interestingly, it has a fully documented set of
    examples, source code and stuff like that, even picoblaze is pretty easy to
    get off the ground with this...

    An absolute steal for $149...

    http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-SPAR3E-SK-US

    <\end sales pitch>
    Haha.
    Ben

    Benjamin Todd, Jan 17, 2007
  4. EE123

    Benjamin Todd wrote:
    > Dave, In terms of starter kits... I have had a great experience with the
    > xilinx HW-SPAR3E-SK-US...
    >
    > I can _really_ recommend this Spartan 3E starter kit. It's an excellent
    > training ground for FPGA design, it has a simple programming interface, and
    > all the peripherals you could consider using. I bought a pile and am using
    > them as all sorts of wierd and wonderful things, simulators, testers. etc
    > etc. Use web-pack to make the code, all free. Doesn't need a programming
    > cable either. Plus, more interestingly, it has a fully documented set of
    > examples, source code and stuff like that, even picoblaze is pretty easy to
    > get off the ground with this...
    >
    > An absolute steal for $149...
    >
    > http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-SPAR3E-SK-US
    >
    > <\end sales pitch>
    > Haha.
    > Ben
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > If I were to buy a Xilinx DevKit, I'd buy it from Xilinx or the people
    > > that actually made it.
    > >
    > > You'll find more answers here:
    > > <http://www.xilinx.com/products/devboards/>
    > >

    > > EE123 wrote:
    > >> I am loooking at getting a Xilinx development kit
    > >> from Digikey and I have a couple of questions.
    > >> I am using an IBM PC running Win 2000 XP.
    > >>
    > >> First, is the Xilinx kit complete? I bought
    > >> an Atmel kit a coupe of years ago and
    > >> found out that I would have to buy a
    > >> $300 I/O software package WRONG!!!
    > >>
    > >> Second, the kit from Digikey does the
    > >> Spartan but not the Virtex. Where
    > >> do you get the Virtex sofdtware?
    > >> Is that available from Xilinx exclusively?
    > >>

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Dave

    If it doesn't have a programming cable,
    how does it program the chips?

    Dave

    EE123, Jan 17, 2007
  5. EE123

    EE123, Jan 17, 2007
  6. EE123

    Dave Pollum Guest

    EE123 wrote:
    > Benjamin Todd wrote:
    > > Dave, In terms of starter kits... I have had a great experience with the
    > > xilinx HW-SPAR3E-SK-US...
    > >
    > > I can _really_ recommend this Spartan 3E starter kit. It's an excellent
    > > training ground for FPGA design, it has a simple programming interface, and
    > > all the peripherals you could consider using. I bought a pile and am using
    > > them as all sorts of wierd and wonderful things, simulators, testers. etc
    > > etc. Use web-pack to make the code, all free. Doesn't need a programming
    > > cable either. Plus, more interestingly, it has a fully documented set of
    > > examples, source code and stuff like that, even picoblaze is pretty easy to
    > > get off the ground with this...
    > >
    > > An absolute steal for $149...
    > >
    > > http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-SPAR3E-SK-US
    > >
    > > <\end sales pitch>
    > > Haha.
    > > Ben
    > >

    > > <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > If I were to buy a Xilinx DevKit, I'd buy it from Xilinx or the people
    > > > that actually made it.
    > > >
    > > > You'll find more answers here:
    > > > <http://www.xilinx.com/products/devboards/>

    > If it doesn't have a programming cable,
    > how does it program the chips?
    >
    > Dave

    The chips can be programmed via the board's USB port. It comes with a
    USB cable. The chips can also be programmed using a parallel port JTAG
    cable. That cable does not come with the board, but is available from
    Digilent The board is also available from Digilent (I'm a happy
    Digilent customer). Both Digilent and Xilinx sell the board for the
    same price.
    -Dave Pollum

    Dave Pollum, Jan 17, 2007
  7. Re: Xilinx A Couple of questions

    It has a USB controller that is recognised as a platform USB cable. All you
    do is plug the USB cable into your PC. When you start Impact it
    automatically detects the cable and boundary scan chain.
    You can also program it through SPI, stand alone JTAG and a microprocessor,
    and other ways, have a look at the user guide if you're interested:

    http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug230.pdf

    page 28 describes the USB...
    Ben

    Benjamin Todd, Jan 17, 2007
  8. EE123

    Benjamin Todd wrote:
    > It has a USB controller that is recognised as a platform USB cable. All you
    > do is plug the USB cable into your PC. When you start Impact it
    > automatically detects the cable and boundary scan chain.
    > You can also program it through SPI, stand alone JTAG and a microprocessor,
    > and other ways, have a look at the user guide if you're interested:
    >
    > http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug230.pdf
    >
    > page 28 describes the USB...
    > Ben
    >
    > "EE123" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Benjamin Todd wrote:
    > >> Dave, In terms of starter kits... I have had a great experience with the
    > >> xilinx HW-SPAR3E-SK-US...
    > >>
    > >> I can _really_ recommend this Spartan 3E starter kit. It's an excellent
    > >> training ground for FPGA design, it has a simple programming interface,
    > >> and
    > >> all the peripherals you could consider using. I bought a pile and am
    > >> using
    > >> them as all sorts of wierd and wonderful things, simulators, testers. etc
    > >> etc. Use web-pack to make the code, all free. Doesn't need a programming
    > >> cable either. Plus, more interestingly, it has a fully documented set of
    > >> examples, source code and stuff like that, even picoblaze is pretty easy
    > >> get off the ground with this...
    > >>
    > >> An absolute steal for $149...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-SPAR3E-SK-US
    > >>
    > >> <\end sales pitch>
    > >> Haha.
    > >> Ben
    > >>

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > If it doesn't have a programming cable,
    > > how does it program the chips?
    > >
    > > Dave

    Do I need a software driver or is a driver included
    with the package?

    Dave

    EE123, Jan 17, 2007
  9. EE123

    Guest

    Re: Xilinx A Couple of questions

    It's all in there.

    EE123 wrote:

    > Do I need a software driver or is a driver included
    > with the package?
    >
    > Dave

    , Jan 18, 2007