Xilinx bootloader help...

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Dave, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I'm using an ML403 development board. The board has a Compact Flash card on
    it, as well as SRAM, DDR RAM, Flash, etc.

    I'm trying to load my large application into a file that I can copy to the
    Compact Flash in a file. I want to have a bootloader program read then
    file, load it into SRAM, and then start executing the SRAM code.

    Is there an example of doing this?

    Is this an unreasonable thing to do with this system?

    I've been talking to our local FAEs but have no real feedback from them on
    how to do this.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave, Aug 29, 2006

  2. Dave

    David Ashley Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm using an ML403 development board. The board has a Compact Flash card on
    > it, as well as SRAM, DDR RAM, Flash, etc.
    >
    > I'm trying to load my large application into a file that I can copy to the
    > Compact Flash in a file. I want to have a bootloader program read then
    > file, load it into SRAM, and then start executing the SRAM code.
    >
    > Is there an example of doing this?

    Look at the u-boot project, it supports the ML403 board IIRC.
    It does the bootstrap stuff you need to do.

    -Dave

    --
    David Ashley http://www.xdr.com/dash
    Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

    David Ashley, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "David Ashley" <> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >> I'm using an ML403 development board. The board has a Compact Flash card
    >> on
    >> it, as well as SRAM, DDR RAM, Flash, etc.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to load my large application into a file that I can copy to
    >> the
    >> Compact Flash in a file. I want to have a bootloader program read then
    >> file, load it into SRAM, and then start executing the SRAM code.
    >>
    >> Is there an example of doing this?

    > Look at the u-boot project, it supports the ML403 board IIRC.
    > It does the bootstrap stuff you need to do.
    >
    > -Dave
    >
    > --
    > David Ashley http://www.xdr.com/dash
    > Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

    Thanks for responding, Dave.

    I checked the Xilinx web-site and did a search on u-boot and ML403 and got
    no hits. I did a search on u-boot and got over 250 hits but they were all
    related to the ML300. I did a search on boot loader and ML403 and got about
    10 hits but nothing talking about compact flash boot loading.

    Could you give me a link to where you saw the ML403 u-boot project?

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Dave

    David Ashley Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I checked the Xilinx web-site and did a search on u-boot and ML403 and got
    > no hits. I did a search on u-boot and got over 250 hits but they were all
    > related to the ML300. I did a search on boot loader and ML403 and got about
    > 10 hits but nothing talking about compact flash boot loading.
    >
    > Could you give me a link to where you saw the ML403 u-boot project?

    Probably my mistake. The ML300 is probably the one I was thinking
    of.

    Still -- it's easy enough bringing up u-boot on new hardware. Start
    with the ML300 tree and go from there?

    If you've got money to spend I or other real u-boot experts can
    bring it up for you.

    -Dave

    David Ashley, Sep 5, 2006