Xindice VS Relational Databases

Discussion in 'XML' started by Eric Frigot, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Eric Frigot

    Eric Frigot Guest

    Hi all,

    I am curently working with a Xindice database.

    I've got a lot of problems i can't resolve :
    - Xindice development seems to be stopped, is it a good idea to
    use it today ?
    - Xindice is say to be good for small or medium XML data, what is
    a small or medium XML file ? 100ko ? 1 Mo ?
    - Are Xindice performances linear ? What is the time to access one
    data between 10 000 ? And is it the same for 1 000 000 ?
    - Are XPath request as fast as SQL request ?
    - What about making low balancing with Xindice ? Is it possible to
    synchronized different Xindice databases on different server ?

    Well, all those questions are one, i've got a Xindice database
    containing medicals datas about people. For one person, an XML entry is
    used, this size is between 10 ko and 1 Mo. Today, i've got no more than
    100 000 people in one database, but tomorrow it would be at least
    1 000 000. The number of user connected at the same time would be 100,
    so the number of requests and adds will become very important. Must i
    used MySql or Oracle databases ?

    I cannot find anything to make a choice, so all your informations are
    welcome.

    Eric.

    Eric Frigot, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Eric Frigot

    Jim Kennedy Guest

    "Eric Frigot" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am curently working with a Xindice database.
    >
    > I've got a lot of problems i can't resolve :
    > - Xindice development seems to be stopped, is it a good idea to
    > use it today ?
    > - Xindice is say to be good for small or medium XML data, what is
    > a small or medium XML file ? 100ko ? 1 Mo ?
    > - Are Xindice performances linear ? What is the time to access one
    > data between 10 000 ? And is it the same for 1 000 000 ?
    > - Are XPath request as fast as SQL request ?
    > - What about making low balancing with Xindice ? Is it possible to
    > synchronized different Xindice databases on different server ?
    >
    > Well, all those questions are one, i've got a Xindice database
    > containing medicals datas about people. For one person, an XML entry is
    > used, this size is between 10 ko and 1 Mo. Today, i've got no more than
    > 100 000 people in one database, but tomorrow it would be at least
    > 1 000 000. The number of user connected at the same time would be 100,
    > so the number of requests and adds will become very important. Must i
    > used MySql or Oracle databases ?
    >
    > I cannot find anything to make a choice, so all your informations are
    > welcome.
    >
    > Eric.

    If development is stopped then I would look for another solution. Oracle
    handles XML well. You could use that.
    Jim

    Jim Kennedy, Dec 21, 2004