xlrd question

JYOUNG79

When running 'python setup.py install' to install items for xlrd to work, does anybody know
what items are
installed and where items are installed at on a Mac (OS 10.4)? I'm assuming it mainly uses
things out of the xlrd
folder, but was curious if it copies files to other locations.

Thanks.

Jay

John Machin

When running 'python setup.py install' to install items for xlrd to work, does anybody know
what items are
installed and where items are installed at on a Mac (OS 10.4)? I'm assuming it mainly uses
things out of the xlrd
folder, but was curious if it copies files to other locations.

Background: I'm the xlrd author. I've never even sat down in front of
a Mac.

xlrd is a pure-Python package. The setup.py is close to vanilla.
Consequently (I'm guessing) the files should be installed on a Mac in
a folder called P/lib/site-packages/xlrd where P is the folder
containing the Python executable etc.

It's easy to find out exactly where. Result on my Windows box:
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
C:\python25\lib\site-packages\xlrd\__init__.pyc

At some stage in the distant past, the hierarchy was somewhat flatter,
e.g.
2.1.3 (#35, Apr 8 2002, 17:47:50) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)]
C:\python21\xlrd\__init__.pyc

Script files like runxlrd.py should end up somewhere else, probably in
P/Scripts. If all else fails, use the shell find command.

BTW, I've never had anyone else ask where files are installed, on any
platform. What is your problem/concern?

Cheers,
John