    http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/

    Any comments are invited.
    , Feb 11, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > XML was designed for text documents and publishing.

    Not so. SGML was, certainly. But XML, especially modern XML with schemas
    and tools such as XQuery, was very definitely designed to be a general
    data-markup language.

    Whether you think it's a good choice for that purpose is a different
    question. I consider it a very good choise as a published interchange
    format. Whether it's the right choice for application-internal purposes
    is a nuanced question, in part because there's the question of whether
    you're talking specifically about XML syntax or the XML Infoset data
    model it represents, and in part because the application's own needs
    become relevant.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 11, 2008

    > Not so. SGML was, certainly. But XML, especially modern XML with schemas
    > and tools such as XQuery, was very definitely designed to be a general
    > data-markup language. [...]

    I know it is disputable. I only want to make people know that there
    are some alternatives, which can be better at least at SOME
    circumstances.
    , Feb 12, 2008

    On 11 Feb, 20:33, wrote:
    > XML was designed for text documents and publishing. If you are
    > considering XML for general data (serialization, configuration etc.) I
    > would like to invite you to a page about xml alternatives:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/
    >
    > Any comments are invited.

    FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas. You can find out
    more about it at:

    http://lumas.org

    Encoded messages look a bit similar to Harpoon, although Lumas lists
    are of the form:

    foo = 1,2,3,4,5

    It also has a C-like message definition langauge (or schema definition
    language if you prefer), which I think most other alternatives are
    currently missing.

    Regards,

    Pete Cordell
    Codalogic
    Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for XML C++ data binding
    , Feb 12, 2008
  5. wrote:
    > I know it is disputable. I only want to make people know that there
    > are some alternatives, which can be better at least at SOME
    > circumstances.

    Folks will take you more seriously if you don't start out with a
    "disputable" statement.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 12, 2008

    On Feb 11, 3:33 pm, wrote:
    > XML was designed for text documents and publishing. If you are
    > considering XML for general data (serialization, configuration etc.) I
    > would like to invite you to a page about xml alternatives:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/
    >
    > Any comments are invited.

    Why is ASN.1 not on your list?

    http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

    Ed Day
    Objective Systems, Inc.
    , Feb 12, 2008

    On 12 Lut, 12:20, wrote:

    > FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas. You can find out
    > more about it at:
    > http://lumas.org

    I find it interesting and added it to the list.
    I will update the "charateristics" in several days or earlier
    if you send me a text I can insert there.
    Thank you for information.

    --
    Charles Debon
    , Feb 13, 2008

    On 12 Lut, 16:25, wrote:

    > Why is ASN.1 not on your list?
    >
    > http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

    After spending 15 minutes on the webpage I couldn't find any sample.
    Is it really a text-based data language or only a language for
    protocol
    specification? I will have a deeper look later and will consider
    adding
    it to my list, but so far I haven't been convinced that this is one of
    languages my page is about. Tell me if I am wrong.

    --
    Charles Debon
    , Feb 13, 2008

    On 13 Feb, 08:34, wrote:
    > On 12 Lut, 12:20, wrote:
    >
    > > FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas.  You can find out
    > > more about it at:
    > >    http://lumas.org

    > I find it interesting and added it to the list.
    > I will update the "charateristics" in several days or earlier
    > if you send me a text I can insert there.
    > Thank you for information.

    Thanks.

    In terms of Characteristics, something like:

    "Tree structured data in a compact text encoding, that has a message
    specification language that can be used to check message validity."

    It does duplicate bits of the other text, so feel free to edit or
    ignore the suggestion as you see fit. In fact, I would be interested
    to see how you summarize it :)

    HTH,

    On Feb 13, 3:37 am, wrote:
    > On 12 Lut, 16:25, wrote:
    >
    > > Why is ASN.1 not on your list?

    > >http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

    > After spending 15 minutes on the webpage I couldn't find any sample.
    > Is it really a text-based data language or only a language for
    > protocol
    > specification? I will have a deeper look later and will consider
    > adding
    > it to my list, but so far I haven't been convinced that this is one of
    > languages my page is about. Tell me if I am wrong.
    >
    > --
    > Charles Debon

    It is the equivalent of XML schema in the XML world. Most uses are
    for the creation of binary messages, but XML documents can be created
    based on the schema as well. Your criteria above does not state that
    the alternative has to be text-based. You mention an alternative for
    serialization of data which is what this describes, albeit in binary
    form (which some people think is a good thing).

    Ed
    , Feb 14, 2008