XML and CIW

Dung Ping

I just looked at the tests in CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster?), but
didn't see a test for XML. Is XML not so useful as other skills, such
as JavaScript or Perl? Or it's CIW's fault or negligence in excluding
XML from the package? Or XML is a too simple language so not worth a
test?

Thanks.

Dung Ping

Soren Kuula

Dung said:
I just looked at the tests in CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster?), but
didn't see a test for XML. Is XML not so useful as other skills, such
as JavaScript or Perl? Or it's CIW's fault or negligence in excluding
XML from the package? Or XML is a too simple language so not worth a
test?

If CIWw doesn't test a little bit of XML knowledge, I sure wouldn't
trust anyone with it to mangage any web... (I'd probably be more
impressed with someone who never took it, saying that it doesn't even
test XML.. and then showed me some stuff / code he'd written).

XML is simple, that's why it is so popular. But it is flexible enough to
describe any structured language that you can come up with -- without
the need of reinventing a raw syntax every time you need a new language.

Useful XML skills might be: Understanding namespaces, understanding DTD
and XML Schema (and why to use them), understanding DOM models and event
based parsing (and when to prefer which), and maybe XSL transforms.

Soren