xml and Env Vars

Joshua Sparks

I have an XML source that I want to modify to use Unix Environment
variables to represent directories instead of hard coding them. I'd
like to know if this is possible...knowing that XML is platform
independant.

Thanks

Finnbarr P. Murphy

The answer is - it depends.

One way would be to pass the environment variables in to your
processor via command line parameters/arguments. Another way would be
to roll your own document processor using something like libxml or
libxslt (www.libxml.org) that would have have specific knowledge of
which elements/attributes are actually enviromental variables and use
getenv() to retrieve the value.

- Finnbarr