XML and EOF

Elroyskimms

I'm not sure if this issue is related to XML or it is strictly ASP.Net,
so I apologize if I have cross-posted incorrectly.

I have an ASP.Net page (written with VB.Net) that returns XML in
response to various parameters that are passed to it. Here is a
simplified version of the code where the problem lies:

Response.Clear()
Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
Response.Write(MyXMLString)
Response.Flush()
Response.Close()

The XML is properly displayed if I view the page in a browser window
and pass the name/value pairs through the querystring. The problem
occurs when other systems attempt to access the page via HTTP POST.
Their content is POST'ed correctly. All processing on the page happens
correctly, but when I return the XML content, the client program (not a
browser) returns an error message:
500 EOF when chunk header expected

Is it related to how I am closing the response stream?
Am I not closing the response stream properly?

Is there some character string that signifies EOF for XML (other than
closing the root element)?
How do I signal EOF when I am done sending the XML content.

Martin Honnen

Elroyskimms said:
[...]

I think the error message says that end of file is found while not being
expected, the client is looking for a chunk header which probably means
that the whole response is sent in chunks of data. So the client is
probably looking for a new chunk indicated by a chunk header while the
server finishes the response. Why that happens is hard to say but I
don't think it is XML specific, more a HTTP communication problem
between your client code and the ASP.NET server side code.