XML and HTML DOM in parallel

manu3d

Hi everybody,

I'm having a lot of fun with XML+XSL generating XHTML+Javascript, but
I'm also having a bit of an issue with how to go back into the
original XML.

Specifically, thanks to Javascript I can create input fields and
selector menus on the fly accessing the HTML DOM. Basically the user
clicks on a some parts of the page text and it automagically becomes
editable or it transforms itself into a selection menu. But how do I
then update the original XML DOM? Can't I update -that- instead and
refresh the HTML DOM as a consequence?

Furthermore, how do I save back the DOM object into the original file?
A generic visitor using a browser doesn't normally have the permission
to overwrite existing file does it?

Thanks for your help.

Manu

Joseph Kesselman

manu3d said:
Furthermore, how do I save back the DOM object into the original file?
A generic visitor using a browser doesn't normally have the permission
to overwrite existing file does it?

No, it doesn't. You have to perform an explicit transaction with the
server if you want to send data back to the server, and the server has
to be set up to support that request.

manu3d

No, it doesn't. You have to perform an explicit transaction with the
server if you want to send data back to the server, and the server has
to be set up to support that request.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'll then have to investigate on how
to achieve this.

Ciao!

Manu