XML and HTML DOM in parallel

Discussion in 'XML' started by manu3d, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. manu3d

    manu3d Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I'm having a lot of fun with XML+XSL generating XHTML+Javascript, but
    I'm also having a bit of an issue with how to go back into the
    original XML.

    Specifically, thanks to Javascript I can create input fields and
    selector menus on the fly accessing the HTML DOM. Basically the user
    clicks on a some parts of the page text and it automagically becomes
    editable or it transforms itself into a selection menu. But how do I
    then update the original XML DOM? Can't I update -that- instead and
    refresh the HTML DOM as a consequence?

    Furthermore, how do I save back the DOM object into the original file?
    A generic visitor using a browser doesn't normally have the permission
    to overwrite existing file does it?

    Thanks for your help.

    Manu

    manu3d, Feb 12, 2008

  2. manu3d wrote:
    > Furthermore, how do I save back the DOM object into the original file?
    > A generic visitor using a browser doesn't normally have the permission
    > to overwrite existing file does it?

    No, it doesn't. You have to perform an explicit transaction with the
    server if you want to send data back to the server, and the server has
    to be set up to support that request.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 12, 2008

  3. manu3d

    manu3d Guest

    On Feb 12, 9:03 pm, Joseph Kesselman <>
    wrote:
    > manu3d wrote:
    > > Furthermore, how do I save back the DOM object into the original file?
    > > A generic visitor using a browser doesn't normally have the permission
    > > to overwrite existing file does it?

    > No, it doesn't. You have to perform an explicit transaction with the
    > server if you want to send data back to the server, and the server has
    > to be set up to support that request.

    Thank you for the confirmation, I'll then have to investigate on how
    to achieve this.

    Ciao!

    Manu

    manu3d, Feb 13, 2008