XML and Table layout for merged rows

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Michaud?=

I don't really know where to post this. Is there a table layout
algorithm forum?

We are trying to implement row merging capabilities in an application
(VEX). We fetch the information in an XML file (the table structure is
already defined in the DTD) in but since everything is row based in the
XML, we can not simply expand a cell's height because it augments the
height of ALL cells in the corresponding row.

How is this traditionally dealt with in say a browser rendering html
tables which have merged rows/cols (intersecting rows and column logic
is not needed)?

Regards
Jean-Francois Michaud

Joseph Kesselman

Uhm... This sounds like a rendering (presentation) question, not an XML
(data representation) question.