XML? Big deal... I just don't get it

bill

I've read about XML, and it's nice, but I really don't get what
the hoopla is all about. As far as I can tell, XML is a mark-up
language that allows one to define one's own tags. Why is this
causing so much excitement? What am I missing?

Can someone point me to an article that attempts to explain what
is so *revolutionary* about XML?

Thanks!

bill