XML Client/server side

Stop Bsod

Hello,

I'm quite a newbie in XML. What I wanted to do is just a simple web page
(html or xhtml) that use XML. The point of the page is to show all my
links/bookmarks, wherever I want to see them through a browser.

So, I wrote a simple XML file and a simple XSL-T file that process the XML.

I like it : really easy to maintain, change the layout. So far, so
good.... BUT :

On the client side :
====================

My default browser is firebird 0.7 (on Fedora Linux) and it works just
perfectly (http://marcfrei.net/links.xml to have an idea of my goal).
Problem, all the other tested browsers (IE 5.5 - 6, Safari, Netscape
etc...) are not able to "render" my page correctly (or at all).... Again,
the goal is to have access to this page from anywhere, including where
"they" don't use the excellent firebird.

So, I looked....

On the server side :
====================

I installed/tested cocoon. OK but too powerfull/complex just to render an
XML through an XSL-T.... Also, it's integration with apache2 is not clear
and I don't want to use cocoon as a standalone, for security reasons and
ease of maintenance of the server. (mainly).

So, I had a look to sablotron with mod_xslt.... Unfortunately, I couldn't
compile/use it with apache2.... That's quite bad because it looked as the
perfect solution for my needs.... Also, mod_xslt seems "old" and not
really maintained.

------

Maybe it's "too hearly" to use XML this way ? Ok maybe I just missed
something... (I'm a newbie....)

Any comments/suggestions to help me go further with XML are really
welcomed !!

Thanks.

M.

Sean Bright

Stop said:
Problem, all the other tested browsers (IE 5.5 - 6, Safari, Netscape
etc...) are not able to "render" my page correctly (or at all).... Again,
the goal is to have access to this page from anywhere, including where
"they" don't use the excellent firebird.

The HTML that you are generating is not well formed. For example:

<xsl:for-each select="/page/link[categ=$myid]">
<xsl:sort select="title" />
</xsl:for-each>

You are using an <a> tag inside a <tr> tag, which isn't valid. You
should have the <a> tag in a <td> tag, so something like this:

<xsl:for-each select="/page/link[categ=$myid]">
<xsl:sort select="title" />
<xsl:value-of select="title" />
</a>
</xsl:for-each>

Just a small example, I haven't looked at your XSL exhaustively. Make
sure you are generating well formed (or relatively well-formed) HTML.

Hope that helps a bit,
Sean

Stop Bsod

Le Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:07:40 -0500, Sean Bright a
écrit :
Just a small example, I haven't looked at your XSL exhaustively. Make
sure you are generating well formed (or relatively well-formed) HTML.

Hope that helps a bit,

Thanks Sean,

It helps a bit ! But after correction, Internet Explorer (5.5) is still
unable to display it.

All the "static" side is correct, but the "dynamic" ("for each") side id
not shown. The table looks like empty.

M.

Sean Bright

Stop Bsod wrote:

It helps a bit ! But after correction, Internet Explorer (5.5) is still
unable to display it.

Change this:

<th>
<xsl:value-of select="$mytitle"/>
</th>

to:

<b>
<xsl:value-of select="$mytitle"/>
</b>

Works perfectly for me in IE6.0

TH isn't valid inside a TD tag as far as I know. If you want to
continue to use the TH you should generate 2 rows instead of one...
something like this:

<th>Linux</th>
<th>News</th>
<th>Utilities</th>
<th>Finance</th>
<th>Technical</th>
<th>Mails</th>
<!-- table with links for 'Linux' here -->
<!-- table with links for 'News' here -->
<!-- table with links for 'Mails' here -->

Hope that helps!

Sean

Hugh Sparks

I'm quite a newbie in XML. What I wanted to do is just a simple web page
(html or xhtml) that use XML.
[...]
the goal is to have access to this page from anywhere, including where
"they" don't use the excellent firebird.
[...]
On the server side :
I installed/tested cocoon. OK but too powerfull/complex ...
Any comments/suggestions to help me go further with XML
are really welcomed !!

Here's a way to handle XML on the server so the sources look
the same as if they were going to be handled on the client. Also,
you can mix the xml/xsl files in with your other Apache website files:

http://www.csparks.com/XMLWithoutTears/ServerSideXML.xml