xml converter

Willian Irving Zumwalt

I want to make a customized converter to translate the semantics of
XML. If I use an interface called IConverter as my abstract concept,
what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
doing it this way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon A. Cruz

Willian said:
I want to make a customized converter to translate the semantics of
XML. If I use an interface called IConverter as my abstract concept,

First of all, I'd suggest to avoid the broken Hungarian and just call it
"Converter" instead.

what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
doing it this way?

Depends on the set of functionality you need.

And are you talking about operating on XML files/streams, or on
something else like DOM trees?

Willian Irving Zumwalt

what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
Depends on the set of functionality you need.

Lets just start w/ minimum funcionality I guess for now as I'm new to
XML.
And are you talking about operating on XML files/streams, or on
something else like DOM trees?

Just XML files.

Also, do you know of any resources that talk about 'customizable
converters'? Cause I'd like to know more about xml frameworks and get
some good design ideas for extensibility and scalability.

Thanks

Jorn W Janneck

Willian Irving Zumwalt said:
I want to make a customized converter to translate the semantics of
XML. If I use an interface called IConverter as my abstract concept,
what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
doing it this way?

Hi Will.

I am not quite sure I understand your question. What exactly do you mean by
"semantics of XML"? XML is essentially a textual format for a tree data
structure, so if you talk about generic XML there is not really much
semantics to it, other than that data structure.

Also, what do you intend to convert the XML into? Other XML? Text? HTML?
Java data structures? Arbitrary (i.e. unknown yet) binary stuff? Database
queries? ...?

You probably know this, but there exists rather elaborate infrastructure for
transforming XML, in the form of XSLT. If by any chance you do not know
that, I recommend taking a look at it. If that does not work for you,
perhaps you could describe what other functionality you need.

Cheers,

-- j