    what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
    doing it this way?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Willian Irving Zumwalt, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Willian Irving Zumwalt

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Willian Irving Zumwalt wrote:
    > I want to make a customized converter to translate the semantics of
    > XML. If I use an interface called IConverter as my abstract concept,

    First of all, I'd suggest to avoid the broken Hungarian and just call it
    "Converter" instead.

    > what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
    > doing it this way?

    Depends on the set of functionality you need.

    And are you talking about operating on XML files/streams, or on
    something else like DOM trees?

    Jon A. Cruz, Aug 23, 2003

  3. > > what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
    > > doing it this way?

    > Depends on the set of functionality you need.

    Lets just start w/ minimum funcionality I guess for now as I'm new to
    XML.

    > And are you talking about operating on XML files/streams, or on
    > something else like DOM trees?

    Just XML files.

    Also, do you know of any resources that talk about 'customizable
    converters'? Cause I'd like to know more about xml frameworks and get
    some good design ideas for extensibility and scalability.

    Thanks

    Willian Irving Zumwalt, Aug 24, 2003
  4. "Willian Irving Zumwalt" <> wrote in message
    > I want to make a customized converter to translate the semantics of
    > XML. If I use an interface called IConverter as my abstract concept,
    > what would you guys consider as the minimum set of methods I'd need in
    > doing it this way?

    Hi Will.

    I am not quite sure I understand your question. What exactly do you mean by
    "semantics of XML"? XML is essentially a textual format for a tree data
    structure, so if you talk about generic XML there is not really much
    semantics to it, other than that data structure.

    Also, what do you intend to convert the XML into? Other XML? Text? HTML?
    Java data structures? Arbitrary (i.e. unknown yet) binary stuff? Database
    queries? ...?

    You probably know this, but there exists rather elaborate infrastructure for
    transforming XML, in the form of XSLT. If by any chance you do not know
    that, I recommend taking a look at it. If that does not work for you,
    perhaps you could describe what other functionality you need.

    Cheers,

    -- j

    Jorn W Janneck, Aug 24, 2003