XML Data Islands, is this open standard, and in common use?

shrike

Howdy,

Got some data that favors XML as a means of organizing it. I want to
embed it in HTML documents. I'm a newbie w/ XML but know my way around
Perl/C/HTML acceptably well.

I found this: http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_data_island.asp

which describes a simple embedding technique for sticking XML in a web
page. It describes this as an "Explorer" feature. I am dead set on
using ONLY open source and open standards. So is what is described
here W3C/IETF/OSI compliant or is it a Microsoft-ism?

Could somebody refer me to the correct way of doing this if it is not
kosher cross-vendor?

I intend to write a browser plugin for interpreting my XML. I would
like to register the embedded data as document type. Which standards
body would I go to in order to register an document type based on
XML?

Thanks in advance!
-Psy

Martin Honnen

Got some data that favors XML as a means of organizing it. I want to
embed it in HTML documents. I'm a newbie w/ XML but know my way around
Perl/C/HTML acceptably well.

I found this: http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_data_island.asp

which describes a simple embedding technique for sticking XML in a web
page. It describes this as an "Explorer" feature. I am dead set on
using ONLY open source and open standards. So is what is described
here W3C/IETF/OSI compliant or is it a Microsoft-ism?

XML data islands are only supported by Internet Explorer (and other
browsers using MSHTML).
Could somebody refer me to the correct way of doing this if it is not
kosher cross-vendor?

You can load your XML data using XMLHttpRequest.