    So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

    Regards
    Gilbert

    Gilbert Ostlethwaite, Nov 24, 2006

  2. Gilbert Ostlethwaite wrote:
    > First of all, apologies if I'm in the wrong group, but I thought that
    > the two are likely to go together. I have an java application that
    > sends and receives XML documents and I need to add a storage facility
    > and I need to be able to query that storage.
    >
    > I've looked for XML databases, but most that I've looked at don't seem
    > to be current, Apache Xindice and Sleepycat DbXML, for example, don't
    > seem to have had a new release since 2004 and searching through the
    > newsgroups turns up some pretty uncomplimentary comments about XML
    > databases. I'm aware that many RDBMS such as Oracle now implement an
    > XML frontend, but the project is not big enough to warrant an Oracle
    > license.
    >
    > So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

    If you just need a database to store and retrieve XML then
    you can use any database including a bunch of free database.

    If you need a real XML database with XQuery etc. then it
    is more difficult to find something.

    Maybe "exist". Last release is actually very recent.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Nov 24, 2006

  3. > >
    > > So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

    > If you just need a database to store and retrieve XML then
    > you can use any database including a bunch of free database.
    >
    > If you need a real XML database with XQuery etc. then it
    > is more difficult to find something.
    >
    > Maybe "exist". Last release is actually very recent.

    I will need to be able to query the database - whether I need XQuery is
    another matter. DBXml appears to allow me to use simple XPath
    expressions to get at what I want. Problem is that what I know about
    XML databases could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which is
    why I was asking what others are using. I'll take a look at eXist as
    well.

    Regards
    Gilbert

    Gilbert Ostlethwaite, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Gilbert Ostlethwaite

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Gilbert Ostlethwaite wrote:

    > I will need to be able to query the database - whether I need XQuery is
    > another matter. DBXml appears to allow me to use simple XPath
    > expressions to get at what I want. Problem is that what I know about
    > XML databases could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which is
    > why I was asking what others are using. I'll take a look at eXist as
    > well.

    Google turned this up. It looks as if it may be worth reading
    http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 27, 2006