XML Documentation and Web References

Ryan Columbus

I am working on a client/server application that uses .NET Web
Services. I am using the Description field in the WebServiceAttribute
and WebMethod attributes within the web service to document the
various classes and methods there. On the client side, I create a Web
Reference to each web service in Visual Studio. I would expect it to
copy over the documentation from the web service to the web reference,
so that when I am using the Web Reference, IntelliSense will provide
information on the classes and methods. However, in the Reference.cs
file that is created, all that is added are "/// <remarks/>" stubs for
each class and method. Of course, you cannot replace these manually,
as they will just be over written the next time you update the web
service.

So, how do you get Visual Studio to generate XML Documentation
comments for a web reference from the documentation specified in the
Web Service?