XML documentation.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmF5bW9uZCBCZW5uZXR0?=, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?UmF5bW9uZCBCZW5uZXR0?=, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Raymond,

    In the next version of Visual Studio the same functionality is being built
    in for vb.net commenting. But for the time being you may certainly add the
    same functionality to your vb.net code on your own.

    I know because I generate the xml document to make intellisense work in my
    vb.net code.

    To do so I've created the xml document on my own and placed it into my
    project's bin folder. I have the projects for many objects that I've built
    freely available on my website, www.aboutfortunate.com. They are all vb.net
    projects and all have full intellisense via their xml files. Download a few
    of them (Use the "Code Library" link at the top of the page and then use any
    of the project's buttons on the left.) and you'll be able to see the
    formatting of the xml files.

    Also, if you'd like to generate help files automatically from your vb.net
    commenting you should take a look at VBCommenter:
    http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/VbCommenter.asp

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche
    "Raymond Bennett" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Is it possible to do it without visual studio.net ? I am writing C# code in
    VIM for my pages, and would rather not comment my code than use vs.net :)

    =?Utf-8?B?UmF5bW9uZCBCZW5uZXR0?=, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Raymond,

    All you need to do (for the intellisense) is include the properly formatted
    xml document. As long as the xml document resides in the same folder as the
    compiled .dll file the intellisense will work.

    The fact that I use Visual Studio has nothing to do with the xml file. I
    only mentioned it because all my projects are downloadable as Visual Studio
    projects. But if you look at the .vb file in the project and at the .xml
    file in the bin you'll get the idea.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche
    "Raymond Bennett" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Sorry if I am not communicating what I am looking for properly.

    Normally when I document my code using <summary>, <remarks>, etc.. I can get
    the XML output via "csc /doc:MyProgram.xml *.cs"

    But in ASP.Net I am not compiling anything (all of my code is in <script
    runat="server"> tags), how do I get the XML document from these .ASPX pages?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmF5bW9uZCBCZW5uZXR0?=, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Raymond,

    Sorry, I did misunderstand what you were looking for.

    As far as I know there isn't a way to do that.

    The only way I can think of is if you were to write a parser yourself. I'm
    not aware of any pre-compiled code parsers to do what you want.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche
    "Raymond Bennett" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 5, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UmF5bW9uZCBCZW5uZXR0?=

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Sorry if I am not communicating what I am looking for properly.
    >
    >Normally when I document my code using <summary>, <remarks>, etc.. I can get
    >the XML output via "csc /doc:MyProgram.xml *.cs"
    >
    >But in ASP.Net I am not compiling anything (all of my code is in <script
    >runat="server"> tags), how do I get the XML document from these .ASPX pages?

    If you move your code to code-behind files and compile them as DLLs,
    then you will (presumably) be able to do just the same as with your
    other C# projects.

    HTH

    --
    Alan Silver