XML documentation.

S. Justin Gengo

Raymond,

In the next version of Visual Studio the same functionality is being built
in for vb.net commenting. But for the time being you may certainly add the
same functionality to your vb.net code on your own.

I know because I generate the xml document to make intellisense work in my
vb.net code.

To do so I've created the xml document on my own and placed it into my
project's bin folder. I have the projects for many objects that I've built
freely available on my website, www.aboutfortunate.com. They are all vb.net
projects and all have full intellisense via their xml files. Download a few
of them (Use the "Code Library" link at the top of the page and then use any
of the project's buttons on the left.) and you'll be able to see the
formatting of the xml files.

Also, if you'd like to generate help files automatically from your vb.net
commenting you should take a look at VBCommenter:
http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/VbCommenter.asp

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Guest

Is it possible to do it without visual studio.net ? I am writing C# code in
VIM for my pages, and would rather not comment my code than use vs.net :)

S. Justin Gengo

Raymond,

All you need to do (for the intellisense) is include the properly formatted
xml document. As long as the xml document resides in the same folder as the
compiled .dll file the intellisense will work.

The fact that I use Visual Studio has nothing to do with the xml file. I
only mentioned it because all my projects are downloadable as Visual Studio
projects. But if you look at the .vb file in the project and at the .xml
file in the bin you'll get the idea.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Guest

Sorry if I am not communicating what I am looking for properly.

Normally when I document my code using <summary>, <remarks>, etc.. I can get
the XML output via "csc /doc:MyProgram.xml *.cs"

But in ASP.Net I am not compiling anything (all of my code is in <script
runat="server"> tags), how do I get the XML document from these .ASPX pages?

S. Justin Gengo

Raymond,

Sorry, I did misunderstand what you were looking for.

As far as I know there isn't a way to do that.

The only way I can think of is if you were to write a parser yourself. I'm
not aware of any pre-compiled code parsers to do what you want.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Alan Silver

Sorry if I am not communicating what I am looking for properly.
Normally when I document my code using <summary>, <remarks>, etc.. I can get
the XML output via "csc /doc:MyProgram.xml *.cs"

But in ASP.Net I am not compiling anything (all of my code is in <script
runat="server"> tags), how do I get the XML document from these .ASPX pages?

If you move your code to code-behind files and compile them as DLLs,
then you will (presumably) be able to do just the same as with your
other C# projects.

HTH