XML editing without XML markup knowledge

Discussion in 'XML' started by Dirk Rudolf, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Dirk Rudolf

    Dirk Rudolf Guest

    I like to announce you the product X2U, avaible under
    http://www.lumrix.net/x2.

    X2U is an acronym for "XML to user". Existing XML editors still ignore
    the fact that users don't want to read XML markup. Our view is: Not
    users have to align to XML, but XML has to align to users.

    X2U allows users tp fill out simple web forms, which are automatically
    derived from XML models. The XML model provides the XML structure and
    an interface (man-machine, machine-machine). X2U accepts an XML
    document, an XML Schema, a DTD (Document Type Definition) or an XML
    form (XForms). All you need is a web browser. Forms often restrict the
    contents an author wants to put in. The X2U approach is more flexible:
    Simply change the XML model to customize the forms!

    Check out this software ...

    cu, dirk

    Dirk Rudolf, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Do you also offer a similar tool for programmers, who don't know a
    programming language?

    If your users do not have any "XML markup knowledge", how can they be sure
    that what your product is really editing is XML?

    Dimitre Novatchev, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Dirk Rudolf

    Kimanzi Mati Guest

    "Dimitre Novatchev" <> wrote in message
    > Do you also offer a similar tool for programmers, who don't know a
    > programming language?

    Good one! Other than the falacy that there exists no programmer who does
    not know 1+ programming languages.

    > If your users do not have any "XML markup knowledge", how can they be sure
    > that what your product is really editing is XML?

    You have a point here in a sense. If the user wishes to "edit XML" they
    should be comfortable knowing that their GUI activities are in fact
    producing XML. Dirk, does your tool allow them to see the XML "under the
    hood" so to speak?

    Code generation tools (in this case generating XML) are an old idea and few
    have come close to producing viable options. Out of curiosity, Dirk, what
    makes X2U special? As in: what features does it have over other XML
    editors? Those others enable the user to drag and drop items onto a
    treeview structure, which graphically represents the XML. In those
    treeviews the user is not editing XML content, they're editing a treeview.
    Of course there is a 1-1 mapping between the treeview and the XML content
    "under the hood" but that is not what the user is directly dealing with. So
    in that sense, I would say that the user need only understand treeviews
    (which have been around since the early days of GUI development over a
    decade ago). So I am interested to learn: what exactly is the special thing
    that X2U offers? Put another way: If I were a potential client going to buy
    XMLSpy and you came to me with your product, what pitch would you make to
    cause me to spend my money on X2U rather than XMLSpy (other than the
    pricing)? Also, what do you think of Microsoft's InfoPath?

    Thanks.

    Kimanzi Mati, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Dirk Rudolf

    Bob Foster Guest

    "Kimanzi Mati" <> wrote in message

    > "Dimitre Novatchev" <> wrote in message
    > > Do you also offer a similar tool for programmers, who don't know a
    > > programming language?

    > Good one! Other than the falacy that there exists no programmer who does
    > not know 1+ programming languages.

    Fallacy? There are many C++ programmers who know <1 programming language.
    ;-}

    As to the rest, X2U seems to be a tree editor, of which there are many
    examples, presented as a form.

    Bob Foster

    Bob Foster, Oct 10, 2003