XML Editor Recommendation

Discussion in 'XML' started by Eric, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I was looking around for XML editors and searching through this group,
    I found:

    http://www.oxygenxml.com/
    http://www.xmlmind.com/
    http://www.editix.com/
    http://www.exchangerxml.com/

    The primary requirement is that the editor runs under both Windows XP
    and MacOSX.

    I was wondering if anyone would care to give their recommendation(s) or
    opinion(s) on what editors to avoid (because they crash often, simply
    don't work well, etc.).

    Is there an editor or two out there that are considered to be
    'top-of-the-line'?

    If you have done your own comparative analysis of the various
    available editors, I would be interested what your criteria was and why
    you selected the editor you did.

    thank you.

    Eric, Nov 16, 2006

  2. For whatever it's worth, I mostly just use an old release of Emacs in
    its SGML mode. (I suspect newer versions have a real XML mode, which
    would probably be a better choice.) It's simple, it works, it supports
    unicode, it's just helpful enough and it stays out of my way.

    XML's simple enough that I rarely feel the need for much editing assistance.

    Joseph Kesselman, Nov 16, 2006

  3. there is also altova xml spy and xmetal and emacs nxml mode

    I personally use oXygen on Win XP and emacs nxml mode on Linux. oXygen
    has a lot of nice features but can be slow because it's written in
    Java. emacs nxml mode is fairly quick, but does not have as many
    features. nxml mode notably lacks the ability to dynamically pull
    xincludes into memory for validation (so the schema must allow
    xincludes everywhere).

    If this is your first big plunge into XML, it might help if you tell
    people what you intend to edit.

    Chris Chiasson, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Eric

    Jason Earl Guest

    Joseph Kesselman <> writes:

    > For whatever it's worth, I mostly just use an old release of Emacs
    > in its SGML mode. (I suspect newer versions have a real XML mode,
    > which would probably be a better choice.) It's simple, it works, it
    > supports unicode, it's just helpful enough and it stays out of my
    > way.

    Emacs users should definitely take a look at nxml-mode. Not only does
    it give you all the power of Emacs, but it validates as you type.
    It's very cool.

    Here's a blurb from the website:

    nXML mode allows a schema to be associated with the XML document being
    edited. The schema is used to provide two key features:

    * Continuous validation. nXML validates as you type, highlighting
    any invalid parts of your document.

    * Completion. nXML can assist you in entering an element name,
    attribute name or data value by using information about what is
    allowed by the schema in that context.

    http://www.thaiopensource.com/nxml-mode/

    > XML's simple enough that I rarely feel the need for much editing
    > assistance.

    nxml-mode would help. Trust me.

    Jason

    Jason Earl, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Chris Chiasson wrote:
    > there is also altova xml spy and xmetal

    These are windows only (although they probably run via VirtualPC or
    something)...can't be considered.

    > and emacs nxml mode

    Thanks for this one

    Eric, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005 XML Editor is one of the most powerful I have
    seen -- just check it out.

    Cheers,
    Dimitre Novatchev

    Dimitre Novatchev, Nov 17, 2006
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, but if it does not run under both MacOSX and
    Windows, it cannot be considered.

    Eric, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Eric

    shaun roe Guest

    > http://www.oxygenxml.com/
    > http://www.xmlmind.com/
    > http://www.editix.com/
    > http://www.exchangerxml.com/
    >
    > The primary requirement is that the editor runs under both Windows XP
    > and MacOSX.

    I can recommend oXygen, I've been using it for ~2 yrs and, like you,
    have the primary requirement that it be multi-platform. (In my case, osx
    and linux). I have had problems with memory when debugging the xslt
    transform of >3Mb of xml, though.

    I also needed a good xml debugger and wanted an integrated svg viewer;
    it does both.

    I dont have a comparison with the other packages you mention, but it
    does beat emacs hands down.

    cheers
    shaun

    shaun roe, Nov 17, 2006