    that Frontpage produce html.

    How about the XSL stylesheet? Is there an automatic stylesheet generator
    for the corresponding XML?
    Reds, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Reds wrote:
    > Is there an editor that produce automatic XML code, in the same manner
    > that Frontpage produce html.

    XML itself is essentially pure syntax, and so is more like SGML (the
    syntax HTML is based on) than like HTML. You need to go a step further
    and focus on the specific XML-based language you want to produce, such
    as XHTML or Docbook or the markup used by the OpenOffice project... or
    something like a purchase order or other business document. There are
    certainly tools to help you create some kinds of XML documents; others
    are used mostly for machine-to-machine transactions and are rarely
    edited by hand.

    Stylesheets have to be written to suit the specific markup languages
    (document types), and with the intended use of the output -- a single
    document may be rendered in multiple ways depending on what parts of it
    you want to present and how you want to present them. Designing a
    stylesheet is essentially a form of programming; there are tools which
    can assist in some limited cases but generally it involves decisions
    that have to be made by a human. If you're using a standard XML-based
    language such as the ones I mentioned above, there are probably already
    stylesheets available for it to render it into (X)HTML and/or XSL-FO
    (which can then be rendered into a PDF); do a bit of websearching.

    But the first step really is to answer "What kind of XML document?"

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Stylus Studio, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Reds

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:45:38 +0000, Reds wrote:

    > Is there an editor that produce automatic XML code, in the same manner
    > that Frontpage produce html.

    Not really, because an editor cannot guess what you want. You have to
    tell it. Even in FP (which produces *horrible* HTML), you have to show it
    size and position and font and colour (etc)...it cannot guess.

    If I open an editor and type "Lord of the Rings", how is it supposed to
    know that I want to rewrite Tolkein's epic; or write an article about it;
    or create a poster advertising the film?

    You have to TELL an XML editor what you want, by specifying the names of
    the element types, either manually (make-it-up-as-you-go) or
    programatically using a DTD or Schema for the type of document you want.

    In fact, my PhD research project has come up with at least a dozen things
    that editors *could* do to make sensible guesses at what the author
    wants, based on they keys they have pressed, but for currently unknown
    reasons the majority have never been tested or implemented. There are
    currently NO editors suitable for use by the non-XML-expert (see my paper
    to Extreme Markup 2006 at http://epu.ucc.ie/articles/extreme06).

    > How about the XSL stylesheet? Is there an automatic stylesheet generator
    > for the corresponding XML?

    Other way round. There are some editors which (given a DTD/Schema and a
    stylesheet) can display a fill-in template for a specific type of
    document.

    If I had an XML file containing <product code="ABC123"/> how on earth
    would an "automatic stylesheet generator" know how I want it formatted?

    Think again: XML *is* for automation, but only once you have given it the
    first example.

    Can you specify more exactly what you want to do?

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jan 12, 2008

    8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

    > to Extreme Markup 2006 at http://epu.ucc.ie/articles/extreme06).

    Hi,

    seems not to be a correct Link.

    Cheers

    Martin
    --
    parozusa at web dot de
    Martin Fischer, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Reds

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:02:20 +0100, Martin Fischer wrote:

    > > Date: 12 Jan 2008 16:17:40 GMT

    > 8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > > to Extreme Markup 2006 at http://epu.ucc.ie/articles/extreme06

    > Hi,
    >
    > seems not to be a correct Link.

    What does it give you? It's working from here...but there was a power cut
    on campus the other day, which may have coincided with your click.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Jan 17, 2008

  7. >>>>> Peter Flynn writes:

    > Date: 17 Jan 2008 17:05:35 GMT

    >> > Date: 12 Jan 2008 16:17:40 GMT

    >> 8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> > to Extreme Markup 2006 at http://epu.ucc.ie/articles/extreme06

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> seems not to be a correct Link.

    > What does it give you? It's working from here...but there was a power cut
    > on campus the other day, which may have coincided with your click.

    Works now.

    Thanks

    Martin
    --