xml file and schema reference

Wayne Shook

I'm using the .NET IDE and I have an XML file that I'm trying to
validate against an XML schema on my local drive.

the noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute has been modified to what I
think is the proper syntax for the path on my local Windows drive
(changed the directory delimeters from "\" to "/" also??).

I have no web service on my machine.

The XML file:
--------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<DataSet xmlns="http://tempuri.org/CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="file:///D:/Development/DB/XML/2004_06_14/
CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd">
<AIRCRAFT_STATUS>
<DHDT>08-APR-2004 12:00:00</DHDT>
<TAIL_FLEET>91711S</TAIL_FLEET>
</AIRCRAFT_STATUS>
</DataSet>
---------------

Within the .net environment I choose XML-->Create Schema.

Since I've tried this several times, .NET has inc'd the numbering, this
time it created an .xsd file named CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd:
----------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xs:schema id="DataSet"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd"
xmlns:mstns="http://tempuri.org/CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd"
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/CAMPS_SOTW63.xsd"
xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
<xs:element name="DataSet" msdata:IsDataSet="true"
msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:element name="AIRCRAFT_STATUS">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="DHDT" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="TAIL_FLEET" type="xs:string"
minOccurs="0" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:choice>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

---------------------

Much oblidged for any and all help.

Henry S. Thompson

What's the question? Schema and instance look fine at first glance.

ht
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Wayne Shook

Thanks for the reply Harry, it WAS OK. I downloaded the free copy of
XMLSpy and that was the only one of four tools that accepted the
external schema. It was a matter of resolving the external file, not
the format of the XML itself.

I never really "for sure" nailed down why .NET and JDeveloper would not
find my external schema. I noticed on a working XML application that
.NET works if you add the schema file to the dependency (GAC) list.
When that is done, .NET "resolves" the schema file. Unfortunately,
these files are stand-alone and not part of any project.

Oblidged that you took the time to look over the XML.

Wayne