XML file-- XSLT transformation problem with attributes of root element

Wolfgang

I'm applying a simple XSLT style sheet to an XML file.
The style sheet is:

http://piru.alexandria.ucsb.edu/~rnott/MetadataMapping/access-report.xsl

The XML file is here:

http://piru.alexandria.ucsb.edu/~rnott/MetadataMapping/dlese-adn.xml

This works fine as long as the root element of the XML file is plain
<itemRecord>, like this:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<itemRecord>
<general>
<title>Geology Fieldnotes</title>
.... (and so on)

The problem is that in my real-world application the element
<itemRecord> needs to have attributes
like this:

<itemRecord xmlns="http://adn.dlese.org"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://adn.dlese.org
http://www.dlese.org/Metadata/adn-item/0.6.50/record.xsd">

And whith this latter form of <itemRecord...
the XSLT transformation no longer matches anything (There are no
errors, however, just no output).

Why is that?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Wolfgang,