XML format for extensive calendar

Discussion in 'XML' started by Victor, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    I was typing a bit yesterday, trying to make a reasonable XML format for
    a calendar system which I will perhaps implement. One thing which struck
    me after chopping down a few lines, was that to make the format
    extensible and uniform, I ended up with only having
    - grouping elements, like <persons> and <locations>, containing
    - individual elements, like <location> and <company>, containing
    - one of either <name>, <description>, or <title> element and
    - numeric references to other (grouping or individual) elements.

    This seems to look a lot like a relational DB, or indeed RDF. Only one
    element per "object" describing it, and then the rest of the object data
    references other objects.

    Example:
    <persons id="1">
    <person id="1">
    <name>
    <bornName>John</bornName>
    <familyName>Doe</familyName>
    </name>
    <job ref="1"/> <!-- a <job> with a company / organization, title etc. -->
    <spouse ref="2"/> <!-- person[@id=2] -->
    </person>
    </persons>
    <jobs id="1">
    <job id="1">
    <title>Professor at CERN</title>
    <location ref="1"/>
    <organization ref="1"/>
    </job>
    </jobs>
    etc.

    One of the intriguing things I thought to be able to do with this was
    exporting / backing up data easily by just copying the file. Would you
    say this is a good enough reason to avoid using an RDB? Do you have any
    good reasons to
    - change this format and continue using it,
    - continue using this format unchanged,
    - using a relational / XML DB, or
    - using something else?

    Victor, Jun 8, 2004